[StBernard] SDT non-processing waste transfer site

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 24 20:47:08 EDT 2008

Syl,

I would suspect by what you are saying that the landlord is paying the
utility bills or the people living there have a P.O. Box to get mail. The
landlord gets more money from FEMA if he provides utilities. Actually, FEMA
has turned over it's rental payment program to DHAP. Disaster Housing
Assistance Program, that is part of HUD. A lease is required between the
landlord and the tenant and also a Disaster Rent Subsidy Contract. HUD has
rules and you are right that the tenant has responsibilities to follow the
lease and he can't be in trouble with the law. I don't know if it has to be
a major crime or if they can be considered violating their obligation to HUD
and DHAP by committing a minor crime. Anyway, maybe you could call the DHAP
center in New Orleans and ask these questions and explain your situation
about this problem neighbor. Try reporting them to dhap, tell them about
the crimes and trash and all. The tenant knows or should know his
responsibilities to the community he lives in. DHAP makes tenants and
landlords watch a film to explain all of this. The dhap center is across
the river on on McAuthor Blvd. The number is 1-866-202-3487. There is also
a HUD Referral Call Center you could try calling at 1-866-373-9509. I know
a little about this because I have rental property in St. Bernard. I did
not buy single family homes and convert them into rentals so please everyone
don't jump on my back about that. All of my rentals were rentals before
Katrina and are duplexes that were zoned for that reason. You can also go
to www.dhapneworleans.org and see what information you can find out about
what to do in your situation. You may be able to e-mail a complaint about
this tenant and maybe something would happen then to make him straighten up
or lose his rental assistance, and you know he doesn't want that to happen.

Laurie

> We think this is a FEMA paid rental since they moved in the house when one

> of the FEMA parks closed in January and it is a house renovated by the

> Florida contractors. Nobody in the house works and they don't even have a

> mailbox, so who knows who is paying any of the bills. A few months ago,

> they had to move out because their electric meter was pulled. If FEMA is

> paying their bills, I don't think they are going to worry about getting

them

> a garbage can. And as far as the Florida company, you can't even get in

> touch them. We know who lives in the house because their names have been

in

> the paper twice for being arrested. (Which brings up other issues. We

heard

> that FEMA wouldn't pay rental assistance anymore if the person had any

> arrests. I guess that isn't true, either.) But if they don't have any

bills