[StBernard] Word from Washington: Hurricane Recovery, Offshore Drilling and Food Stamp Help

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Oct 9 21:39:43 EDT 2008

Dear Westley,

As we in south Louisiana begin recovering from Hurricanes Gustav and Ike, my
thoughts and prayers are with those who are struggling to get back on their
feet.

Hurricane Gustav. Rep. Melancon tours Terrebonne and Lafourche Parishes to
survey the damage caused by Hurricane Gustav.
Click here
<http://melancon.congressnewsletter.net/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&g
piv=1999878631.43002.632&gen=1&mailing_linkid=5707> to view the video.

My top priority here in Congress is to aid Louisianians throughout the
recovery process and secure more federal support for hurricane protection
and coastal restoration projects to defend our homes and communities from
future storms.

My staff and I are always ready to assist you. Phone numbers and addresses
for all my offices in Louisiana are at the bottom of this email. Please
don't hesitate to call us or stop by if you need help.

HURRICANE RECOVERY
If you have been affected by Hurricanes Gustav or Ike I urge you to apply
for federal assistance, either online at www.FEMA.gov
<http://melancon.congressnewsletter.net/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&g
piv=1999878631.43002.632&gen=1&mailing_linkid=5708> or by calling
1-800-621-3362. If you choose to apply by phone, you should know that FEMA
is experiencing extremely high call volume and extended wait times. Some
calls have been dropped due to the phone network being overwhelmed. Service
providers have been made aware of these rare instances and are making every
effort to address them. The FEMA Registration and Helplines are operating
24 hours a day, seven days a week.

With the widespread power outage in Louisiana, many citizens are struggling
to pay for food to replace what was lost in storm. If you and your family
have been affected by Hurricanes Gustav and Ike, you may qualify for the
disaster food stamp program. In order to qualify for the benefits, you and
your family must have been living in an eligible disaster-affected parish
and your household must meet the income limits. For more information on the
disaster food stamp program, please click on this link:
http://www.dss.state.la.us/departments/dss/Disaster_Food_Stamp_Program_.html
<http://melancon.congressnewsletter.net/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&g
piv=1999878631.43002.632&gen=1&mailing_linkid=5709>

OFFSHORE DRILLING
Last week, I voted in support of a bill that was the largest expansion of
offshore oil and natural gas development in our nation's history. The
Comprehensive American Energy Security & Consumer Protection Act (H.R. 6899)
would permit leasing between 50 and 100 miles offshore if a state "opts-in"
to allow leasing off its coastline. The remaining outer continental shelf
(OCS) beyond 100 miles would also be open to oil and gas leasing.

Americans are tired of paying $4 a gallon for gas while much of our vast
offshore oil and gas resources go untapped. While this bill isn't perfect,
by opening up large sections of the outer continental shelf for drilling,
this legislation will go a long way toward increasing our domestic energy
production and long-term energy independence.

I am also pleased that this bill protects Louisiana's claim to a significant
share of royalties from new production off our coast, funding that will help
us restore our coast and provide better hurricane protection to our
communities.

New production in the OCS will also mean new jobs for Louisianians, who will
provide many of the workers and equipment needed to support expanded
offshore drilling. We have decades of experience in offshore oil and gas
exploration, and opening new areas to drilling presents a great opportunity
for our businesses and our workers.

In Congress, I have worked to increase domestic energy production, including
expanding offshore oil and gas drilling. This past August, I introduced a
comprehensive energy bill, the FUEL Act (H.R. 6817), which would have opened
up the outer continental shelf beyond 50 miles to oil and gas drilling, much
like the bill passed this past week would. During my first term in
Congress, I was an original co-sponsor of the Deep Ocean Energy Resources
(DOER) Act (H.R. 4761), a bill that also would have expanded oil and gas
exploration on the outer continental shelf.

The legislation passed by the House last week (H.R. 6899) would help address
our nation's short-term energy needs by increasing domestic energy
production. In addition to the new OCS leasing, this bill would tap into a
potential 1.8 trillion barrels of oil in Western oil shale.

We need an energy policy that puts America on the path toward greater energy
independence and invests in American workers and businesses. This energy
bill will allow us to tap into our wealth of offshore energy resources,
while investing in renewable energy, new technologies, and greater
efficiencies. This a good step forward, and I hope Congress will build on
this progress in the coming months.

FOOD STAMP CRISIS
Hurricanes Gustav and Ike, Sen. Mary Landrieu, and Rep. Don Cazayoux and I
sent a letter last week to the federal official responsible for
administering the Disaster Food Stamp Program (DFSP). The letter asks the
U.S. Under Secretary of Agriculture for Food, Nutrition and Consumer
Services for clarification of several policy decisions the agency has made
that are causing concern and confusion among disaster survivors in
Louisiana.

Ike and Gustav left millions of Louisianians without electrical power for
days and even weeks, causing the food in their refrigerators to spoil and
straining already tight resources. The Disaster Food Stamp Program has
helped thousands families get back on their feet since the storms, but many
of my constituents have been tangled in bureaucratic red tape when trying to
get assistance, or denied help altogether.

Deserving people are not getting the food assistance they need to help them
recover from the hit their wallets took during the storms. I am asking the
USDA, on their behalf, for an explanation of the policies that are getting
in the way

A copy of the letter can be viewed by clicking here
<http://melancon.congressnewsletter.net/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&g
piv=1999878631.43002.632&gen=1&mailing_linkid=5710> .

As we move forward from this challenging time, I will keep fighting for
greater federal investments in the coastal restoration and hurricane
protection projects that are crucial to protecting our citizens,
communities, and way of life. A bright future for south Louisiana will
depend on the positive actions we take today.

As your representative in Congress, I am proud to be working on behalf of
the people of south Louisiana and see great things for our future. As
always, I would like to hear from you so please feel free to write, call or
email my offices to share your opinions on the many issues our nation faces.

Kind Regards,
Charlie Melancon