[StBernard] St. Bernard officials fear garbage contract may dump extra fees onto parish

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Oct 23 09:52:09 EDT 2008

worth repeating: "No other local government entity has such a deal".
but not really sure what the ""deal"" is.

New construction debris is the owner's or contractor's responsibility.
If we choose to use an SDT dumpster for our rebuild debris, than our
agreement with SDT should cover the costs of disposal. New construction
debris should not be billed to our municipality.

While it seems to me that the largest amount of household waste consists of
packaging, any effort to recycle and otherwise reduce the amount sent to
the landfill will make a difference. Churches, schools and other
organizations could have fund raisers through newspaper drives. Safe and
convenient drop off bins for aluminum cans, glass and plastics could be
located at places like Home Depot and Winn Dixie. These types of ideas were
included in the parish's pollution reduction plan submitted by the CARE
Forum.

SJK