[StBernard] SDT RESPONSE TO WWL-TV REPORT

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Nov 1 14:11:19 EDT 2008

The SDT response states: "SDT was never paid by the parish for improvements
it made to get the transfer station operational nor to operate the station
for the parish."
.
IMO the improvements were not compliant with the local permit (which they
dont have for the current site) nor the state regulations.
.
One might add that SDT did seem to have the cost benefit of using this site
for all of SDT's clients instead of direct transfer to River Birch. Because
the agreements were verbal with the previous administration, we may never
know "who" really benefited.

.
We all need to be mindful to reduce the amount and content of what we send
to the landfill. If done properly and at the appropriate site, waste
reduction plans, including recycling, grinding and perhaps other methods,
will solve alot of the cost and landfill space issues.
.
Again, it is reassuring the current administration has already been
considering these types of solutions and fulfilling their responsibilities.
Not that we didnot expect them too, just reassuring throughout this issue.
.
Finally, as a reminder, The Parish Council is holding a Public Hearing
Tuesday November 18, 2008 at 11AM in the Council Chambers to gather facts,
opinions and other input regarding the local waste transfer permit
application {which is seperate from the zoning change application}.
.
" Any interested person shall have the right to comment verbally or in
writing at the public hearing. " The council already has a council meeting
set for the same day and time which seems to me to be a conflict in
scheduling. Perhaps the council is already considering changing the time of
the council meeting or placing this public hearing first on the agenda, so
this very important public hearing can be conducted in a meaningful forum.
.
Just my unsolicited opinion.
SJK