[StBernard] Paris Road Transfer Station closed to all but St. Bernard Parish residents

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Nov 3 22:31:54 EST 2008

Paris Road Transfer Station open to St. Bernard Parish residents only

SDT trucks cannot transfer trash at the station for the time being

St. Bernard Parish President Craig P. Taffaro Jr. issued an executive order
on Monday, November 3, 2008, officially restricting the use of the Paris
Road Transfer Station. Only residential dumping will be allowed at the
station in Chalmette, and a St. Bernard Parish driver's license must be
presented.

Taffaro said on Monday the action was necessary to prohibit SDT Waste and
Debris Services trucks from transferring debris at the station.

"I don't have a Cooperative Endeavor Agreement with SDT Waste and Debris
Services, and this is the result of a great deal of confusion that we have
relative to our debris stream and the related costs," Taffaro said. "I'm
sure it can be worked out, but I have to take precautionary measures until
that time."

Taffaro's executive order reads as follows:

"Due to ongoing safety concerns and the fiscal security of St. Bernard
Parish, it is hereby ordered that the transfer station located on Paris Road
in Chalmette is hereby restricted to use by St. Bernard Parish residents
only and for the use of residential debris deposits made directly into the
established 30 yard container receptacles.

"It is further ordered that SDT Waste and Debris Services shall be required
to begin direct hauling St. Bernard Parish's residential curb side waste
until such time that a cooperative endeavor agreement can be composed and
agreed to with St. Bernard Parish Government."

New construction debris must be controlled and disposed of by the landowner
responsible for the debris. As has been the practice, there is still no fee
for residential dumping. Residents may dump at two locations: the designated
ramped area at the Paris Road site in Chalmette and the E.J. Gore pumping
station on East Judge Perez Drive in Poydras. The policy requires a person
to show a valid St. Bernard driver's license and have a trailer no larger
than 16 feet.

People wanting to dump debris from larger trailers must get a letter of
clearance from the Office of the Parish Chief Administrative Officer on the
second floor of the Government Complex at 8201 W. Judge Perez Drive in
Chalmette. There is three-haul maximum in any one-month period. Additional
hauls within a one-month period will require a letter of clearance from the
Parish CAO office.

###