[StBernard] E-Update

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Nov 4 23:57:56 EST 2008

IN THIS ISSUE
Fighting voter fraud in louisiana
Holding the Army Corps To Task
TRAVELING ACROSS Louisiana

Since I began serving in the U.S. Senate I have visited all 64 of
Louisiana's parishes during each Congress, and this month I completed my
64th and final town hall meeting of the 110th Congress. I've also spent
some time traveling around the state this month to meet with local
supervisors of elections and discuss a disturbing and growing pattern of
voter fraud in Louisiana. As we near the 2008 presidential election, it is
imperative that we do all that we can to preserve our democratic process.

Below you can read more about these and other issues that I've been working
on the U.S. Senate, including keeping the Army Corps of Engineers on track.

David Vitter

P.S. - Please feel free to forward the newsletter to your friends, neighbors
and business associates, and encourage them to sign up for their own copy by
visiting my Web site at http://vitter.senate.gov/.

Fighting voter fraud in louisiana

In recent weeks, we have heard of multiple instances of voter fraud
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/PressItem&ID=585c78e6-04aa-4ee7-
b876-615b25c8c699> across the nation. Here in Shreveport, the Registrar
of Voters for Caddo Parish
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/PressItem&ID=ea0c862f-9904-4dc7-
bd2c-f03ce8847038> was recently inundated with thousands of improper voter
registrations compiled by a group that is now under investigation by the
Secretary of State. In Jefferson Parish, Registrar Dennis DiMarco actually
received a fraudulent voter registration card with his own name on it.
These are just a few of many flagrant examples.

This month I called upon the U.S. Attorneys for the Western, Middle and
Eastern Districts of Louisiana and the Special Agent in Charge of the FBI in
New Orleans to investigate these examples of alleged voter fraud by groups
like Voting is Power.

Our democracy affords each and every individual the right to his or her own
vote. Registering fake names or deceased voters, or falsifying information
to register otherwise ineligible voters represents a corruption of the
principles upon which this country was founded.

Holding the Army Corps TO Task

Last week, I urged the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers not to delay further
action toward the closure of the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/PressItem&ID=b1f35e7a-2979-4536-
9aaf-35fa5923a880> .

We cannot afford further delay, but instead of action the Corps is arguing
over cost share formulas and allocations - something I believe we can
resolve in the future without delaying this important project. It has been
more than three years since Hurricanes Katrina and Rita wreaked havoc on
Louisiana, and parts of the state have since suffered extensive damage as a
result of Hurricanes Gustav and Ike.

MRGO represents a significant threat to Southeast Louisiana, and we cannot
delay its closure any longer. The Corps' position is particularly offensive
given the enormous environmental damage MRGO - a Corps project - has caused
over the last several decades. It is of the utmost importance that this
project continue without delays, and I urged Van Antwerp and Stockdale to
endorse the state's changes to the latest proposed Memorandum of
Understanding so the project can move forward.

TRAVELING ACROSS Louisiana

Since I began serving in the U.S. Senate I have visited all 64 of
Louisiana's during every Congress. This week I held my 64th town hall
meeting of the 110th Congress in Jackson Parish. Getting out into the local
communities and meeting with Louisianans across the state is one of my
favorite aspects of my job. It's important for me to hear your opinions on
issues of importance to you and your communities, and town hall meetings are
a great way to stay in touch and learn about the top issues impacting
Louisiana families.

This month, I also launched a mobile office that will allow members of my
staff to travel to those parishes who were hardest hit by the recent
hurricanes. Beginning November 3rd, the office will visit Lafourche,
Terrebonne, St. Mary, Iberia and Vermilion Parishes one day each week to
meet with local citizens and assist them with any hurricane-related needs.
For the mobile office schedule or if you have any questions or require any
assistance from me or a member of my staff and would like to contact any of
my seven regional offices, please visit my website at
http://vitter.senate.gov/.