[StBernard] neighborhoods around Murphy Oil

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Nov 21 20:59:44 EST 2008

Concerned Citizens around Murphy - CCAM

The members of our homeowners association are taking it upon themselves to enforce the federal air permits. CCAM filed a federal air pollution suit against Murphy Oil U.S.A., Inc. today in Federal District Court.

We have engaged in discussions with Murphy Oil refinery officials since April 2007.

Our neighborhoods concerns are not being addressed in a respectful manner and we are disappointed with the lack of a flaring reduction program, as promised.

Residents voiced their concerns to the state regulatory agency. Residents have said, " The smells from the refinery are so bad at time it makes your eyes, nose, and throat burn. Then when you complain they say it was harmless. At night they burn large flam· that puts out black smoke. Also we hear loud noises that shake the house." {LDEQ-EDMS Document 37076260, Page 33 of 39}

The Murphy Oil company could be a better neighbor and demonstrate a commitment in their daily operations -- a commitment that respects the residents who live on the other side of the fence. At this point, Murphy Oil Corporation has left us no choice but to reserve our rights to clean air through the justice system.
On behalf of Concerned Citizens around Murphy--CCAM

Suzanne Kneale, CCAM Secretary