[StBernard] Deuce McAllister has earned adoration of New Orleans Saints fans

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Nov 27 19:50:53 EST 2008

Deuce McAllister has earned adoration of New Orleans Saints fans
Posted by John DeShazier, The Times-Picayune November 26, 2008 7:31PM

Deuce McAllister has remained an exemplary member of the Saints, through
thick and thin.In the interest of full disclosure, attached is the following
disclaimer: Bias resides here. There hasn't been a time when the thinking
hasn't been complimentary of Deuce McAllister, from the second he joined the
Saints as a first-round pick in 2001 to today, from the time he owned
sprinters' speed to the three-serious-knee-surgery, between-the-tackles
runner he has become, from the 1,000-yard seasons to a role reduction so
significant that at times you almost need a magnifying glass to see it, from
the Pro Bowl invitations to a possible suspension.

Actually, with the suspension overhanging, he arguably has been most
impressive.

The guess here is a few athletes in Deuce's cleats would've passed on
Tuesday. It was the Saints' day off, and he could've used the rest. The
possible suspension for using a banned diuretic still very much is in play;
no ruling has been made but after having his motive questioned and
reputation tarnished -- however much -- because of the disclosure, public
appearances understandably might not have been high on the list of
priorities.

But there was McAllister in Chalmette on Tuesday, linking arms with
Winn-Dixie and Coca-Cola to provide turkey dinners to 100 needy families in
the New Orleans Area.

There was McAllister on Tuesday, less than 24 hours after he scored the 54th
touchdown of a Saints Hall of Fame career to become the leading touchdown
scorer in franchise history.

There was McAllister on Tuesday, for the sixth consecutive year, reliable as
ever, good as his word.

DeuceGiving, is what it's called.

Yes, he was. Again.

"Just trying to give back, just trying to help out, " McAllister said
matter-of-factly, after helping dispense food to 100 families and sign
autographs for probably all of the estimated 250 to 300 fans who showed up
solely for that purpose.

"Regardless of how sore you are, that's what you do, " he said. "If you can
walk, you can be able to do it and be able to sign some autographs."

By doing so, maybe the beneficiaries also could walk a little taller today,
their struggles eased at least for this one day.

"For somebody with that status, that could have spent his time doing
something else, to give up his time was phenomenal, " said Tina West, a
married mother of two whose family was pre-selected to be a recipient from a
group of names submitted by four nonprofit organizations.

"Things are tight right now, so every little bit helps, " she said. "And to
see somebody who has everything in the world take time out . . .

"He made it really special. He chose to do this for children who probably
wouldn't have been able to have much of a Thanksgiving.

"He didn't have to do that."

No, he didn't. But he does, like clockwork, in good times and bad, whether
he's having a career year or on pace to run for about half as many yards as
he ever has in a year when he has played at least 10 games, whether the
waters are calm and he's waiting for NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to do
the unexpected and not suspend him, or for Goodell to end his season and,
possibly, his career with the Saints.

"I can't let that bother me; I can't let that worry me, " McAllister said.
"I have a commitment I made."

"He's a pro's pro, " said fullback Mike Karney, who likely is closer to
McAllister than any teammate. "That's why he's the best. He'll be the best
to ever wear a Saints uniform, in my opinion.

"I look up to (the way he has handled the adversity). I always will. The
fans look up to that. They see it.

"Why do you think they go crazy for him all the time when he's out there on
third-and-1 and short-yardage and goal line? They love him. Why wouldn't you
love him?"

Now, obviously, Deuce wasn't the only pro athlete this week lending time and
presence. Other Saints players did the same. Across the nation the blessed
shared with the less fortunate, the former knowing that but for a few twists
and turns in life, they could be categorized as the latter.

But not all of them have the cloud hanging over them that McAllister has.
Not all had as much of a reason to stay out of the spotlight.

But Deuce, who believes he and teammates Will Smith and Charles Grant have
mounted a successful appeal, isn't done. Next week -- on Monday, Tuesday and
Thursday -- he'll participate in Deuce's Holiday Shopping Adventure, in
which 170 pre-selected kids in three cities will receive $100 shopping
sprees, the caveat being they have to buy gifts for family members, to teach
them about giving during the holidays.

"But we've always said that we wouldn't turn a child away (if he showed up
and wasn't pre-selected), " McAllister said.

That could get a tad expensive, but, true to his word, you know he wouldn't
turn away anyone.

The disclaimer has been attached. Bias resides here.

No shame in giving thanks for the givers on Thanksgiving. With Deuce, no
shame in that any day.