[StBernard] Representative Burns Responds to Fire District 4

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Dec 9 12:03:04 EST 2008

LA POLITICS FROM THE INSIDE <http://www.timburns.com>

YOU CAN SHOOT THE MESSENGER
BUT THE MESSAGE IS THE SAME -
STOP RAISING PROPERTY TAX!

In an attempt to defend their recent property tax increase, St. Tammany Fire
District 4 took out a full-page ad (which has run twice and counting)
attacking me for opposing their property tax increase.

I opposed all millage rollups throughout the parish because many citizens
are at their economic breaking point and simply cannot afford further
increases in property tax rates, which are already the highest in the state.
St Tammany Parish is often compared to Lafayette Parish, yet our property
tax rate is nearly twice as much, which inhibits economic growth besides
hurting consumers. The property taxes collected by Fire District 4 (1 of 14
districts within the parish) has risen from $6.8 million in 2004 to nearly
$12 million in 2008. The property tax increase that was just imposed by the
district amounted to approximately $1.5 million.

I feel that public bodies need to tighten their belt during difficult
economic times, just like citizens have to. A financial planner told me that
in the 35 years he's been in business, he has not seen this much economic
pain. Unfortunately many of our citizens will receive even further pain when
they receive their property tax bill.

To their credit, most of the elected bodies in the parish respected the
wishes of taxpayers and did not increase their property tax rate. Nearly all
of the property tax increases were made by non-elected tax bodies, which I
believe is taxation without representation and needs to be stopped

The newspaper ad also insinuated that my actions in opposing property tax
increases were motivated to benefit my employer, Florida Marine Transporters
and its owner, which have their headquarters, training facility and personal
residence in the district. I find this argument not only a stretch, but
insulting to a company who has provided considerable economic benefit to the
area, donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to the community and formed a
foundation which raised nearly $1 million to assist police and firemen,
whose homes had been damaged by Katrina.

Recognizing that property tax has become such an important issue, our
legislative delegation has been meeting with parish council members to
consider solutions to the concerns and problems which arose during the 2008
reassessment. The entire process created far too much stress and hardship
for our citizens and we plan to propose changes to make it more fair and
efficient in the upcoming legislative session. If you have any suggestions
or comments, please don't hesitate to contact my office at 985-624-4492 or
email me at larep089 at legis.state.la.us My best wishes to you and your family
during this holiday season.