[StBernard] Landrieu Comments on Auto Bill Vote

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Dec 12 21:41:28 EST 2008

Sen. Landrieu Comments on Auto Bill Vote

WASHINGTON -- United States Senator Mary L. Landrieu, D-La., tonight
released the following statement after having voted in favor of the Senate
proceeding to a debate on legislation to address the mounting challenges
facing the U.S. automobile manufacturing industry. The procedural measure
fell eight votes shy of the 60-vote threshold required to move the debate
forward, with the Senate voting 52 to 35.

Sen. Landrieu said:

"Tonight I voted for a procedural measure that would have kept alive the
opportunity for bipartisan compromise this year on how to meet the immense
challenges facing the U.S. automobile industry. The bill as proposed, in my
view, needs significant work - particularly in ensuring that manufacturers
make the reforms necessary to remain solvent and not waste taxpayers' money.

"I was prepared to stay in Washington through the holidays if needed to
hammer out a responsible, bipartisan compromise. A 'no' vote on proceeding
to this debate is a vote to go home, risking the jobs of thousands of
workers in Shreveport and elsewhere, as well as hundreds of locally-owned
dealerships across our state.

"It is my fervent hope that my colleagues will be prepared to return to the
negotiating table in January, ready to make the hard choices needed to
effectively protect both American jobs and taxpayer funds."