[StBernard] Christmas Cash Back

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Dec 27 23:50:37 EST 2008

Perhaps and in a gambling sense, it was a gamble that unfortunately did not
pay off. St. Bernard in a reality sense, needs to push for higher limits. As
in the movie, "It's a Wonderful Life", Jimmy Stewart asks Donna Reed if she
wanted the moon, he would "lasso" it and bring it down to her.

St. Bernard Parish needs to think likewise because these small-change
performances are bringing in "short-change" results.

Does anyone have inspiration? Larger-than-life futures? Any desire to "get
out of the ghetto", so to speak and rebuild into a Disney World? Or would
every citizen want the status quo of being stuck on pre-Katrina with a
post-Katrina feel to things?

After having been to Disney World a few weeks ago, it's theme of "Year of a
Million Dreams" inspired me to clean up my act, (personally), respect my
community, and respect littering laws keenly.

I felt ashamed coming back to Louisiana and seeing bags of garbage in
ditches and fields, trash spewed along highways and yards and people whose
mentality is "da hell with brightening up life with a clean healthy
environment". Coming home, I almost forgot what I left behind here to
revisit more of the same when returning. I felt embarrassed and hurt by
people whose trash resembled their lifestyle.

Therefore, if we are content with living with dogs and waking up with fleas,
if we wish the status quo of small projects remaining miniature in results;
or if the media locally continues to press forward with dishonesty, content
to allow progressive, positive rebuilding take a rear seat to little
happening, we will see St. Bernard become "a thing of da past".

I've seen it personally in places where I once lived. Theatres, medical
centers, youth places fold and then towns follow. There is nothing more sad
than watching da parish annexed by the New Orleans crowd.

Merry Christmas and a decent New Year (considering the world change starting
with January 20th.

--jer--

Jer

The event was not intended as a money maker. It was an opportunity for
anyone who had shopped locally and kept their receipts to enter a raffle.

The 100 people count was for the attendance at the event.

The message to shop locally was communicated successfully regardless of the
media coverage of the raffle event.

I do agree with you that residents of St Bernard Parish are much more keen
and also that unfortunately we were lied to after Katrina and the oil
spill-- but that's a different topic.

Merry Christmas and a blessed, prosperous New Year to all.

SJK