[StBernard] Landrieu Comments on Selection of Barksdale as Finalist for Global Strike Command, 24th Air Force

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jan 22 08:27:02 EST 2009

Landrieu Comments on Selection of Barksdale As Finalist for Global Strike
Command, 24th Air Force

WASHINGTON - United States Senator Mary L. Landrieu, D-La., today commented
on the selection of Barksdale Air Force base as a finalist for hosting the
new Global Strike Command and for hosting the 24th Air Force, the future
home of the service's cyber operations. Barksdale is already hosting the
provisional Cyber Command. Last October, the Air Force announced it would
not create a Major Command for cyber, instead creating a new command for
nuclear operations.

Sen. Landrieu said:

"These twin announcements bring welcome news to Barksdale and all of
Northwest Louisiana, which has long been working to bring a Major Command to
the region," Sen. Landrieu said. "Barksdale is in the best position to host
the Global Strike Command and the 24th Air Force under consideration.

"Barksdale is one of the largest bases in the nation, comprising more than
22,000 square acres. Most of this land is undeveloped and available for
expansion.

"Adjacent to Shreveport-Bossier, Barksdale has strong community support in
the metropolitan area of more than 400,000 people. We have the existing
infrastructure to accommodate the necessary network operations and
accessibility, which local officials and business leaders have worked very
hard to build. As the provisional cyber command, Barksdale has already
gained critical expertise at cyber operations, and the community has
contributed to its success with the Cyber Innovation Center. Barksdale
should top the list for these two vital Air Force missions.

"I will continue to lead our delegation in a united and bipartisan fashion
to advocate for Barksdale and other military installations across our state
as the Air Force works through their decision-making process. I look forward
to working with Governor Jindal and Mayors Walker and Glover, as well as
Secretary Donley and General Schwartz to ensure that Barksdale's strengths
receive their fullest consideration. Our dedicated airmen who serve and the
community that supports them so proudly deserve no less."

- 30 -