[StBernard] Landrieu Comments on Secretary Napolitano's Directive to Review Katrina Recovery Progress

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jan 29 18:50:45 EST 2009

Landrieu Comments on Secretary Napolitano's Directive To Review Katrina
Recovery Progress

WASHINGTON - United States Senator Mary Landrieu, D-La., chair of the Senate
Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Disaster Recovery Subcommittee,
today commented on the directive issued by Department of Homeland Security
Secretary Janet Napolitano, which orders a review of Hurricane Katrina
recovery progress. The directive also requires an assessment of current
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) plans to handle serious
emergencies.

Sen. Landrieu said:

"Earlier this month, Secretary Napolitano and I had our first meeting in my
office. She listened as I detailed the struggles Louisiana and the Gulf
Coast region continue to face. I explained to her that Louisiana and FEMA
are currently disputing more than 1,300 public assistance project
worksheets, which has tied up $3 billion for our recovery. As a result,
rebuilding of public facilities, roads, police and fire stations and other
critical infrastructure has at times been ground to a halt.

"I told her that more than $1.5 billion in HMGP funding - which is intended
to help us build smarter and protect us from future storms - is being
disbursed too slowly. I also explained that FEMA and HUD's disaster housing
effort is still seriously deficient. While there was some progress in FEMA's
recent National Disaster Housing Strategy, there is still a lot of work to
be done to ensure that agencies are equipped with the necessary tools to be
truly effective when catastrophes strike.

"Secretary Napolitano not only listened, but in announcing her new
directives to 'require specific department offices and components to work
with state and local partners to review and assess current plans to respond
to significant medical emergencies and address Hurricane Katrina and Rita's
lingering impacts.' she is taking real action to get to the root of the
problems impeding the Gulf Coast's recovery effort. It is a first and
positive step in what will be a long and difficult journey and demonstrates
that Secretary Napolitano and the Obama administration are working as
partners for our recovery.

"The Disaster Recovery Subcommittee will continue working with the
administration and Congress to reform FEMA into an agency that responds
quickly and effectively to disasters and works with recovering communities,
not against them."

In February, the Disaster Recovery Subcommittee will issue a report on
disaster housing that makes recommendations on improving the country's
ability to deliver disaster housing programs effectively.