[StBernard] Parish Threatens To Tear Down Renovated Home

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 11 15:29:58 EST 2009

I am surprised at the lack of favorable comments relative to the demolition
of condemmed homes in St. Bernard. I know that I am not alone in praising
Craig Taffaro for getting the demolitons moving again. I know of seven
different homes that have, within the last two months, finally started to
show evidence of being repaired. Had the demolition effort continued to be
"stalled", I doubt that these repairs would have occured.

Yes, there will be some homes placed (or have already been placed) on the
Demo schedule, but all the homeowner has to do is go to the Govt. Complex
with evidence that the home is in the process of being repaired and the
necessary permits have been obtained. If there is a problem, ask for
assistance from the supervisor. I doubt that it will be necessary, but if
you still have concerns, contact your Council Person. Remember, the parish
employees are residents of St. Bernard. I'm sure that they prefer to see as
many homes renovated and as few homes demolished, as possible.

For the overall good of the parish, it is essential that we continue to
return to as normal a life as possible. To do so, the parish demolition
effort must continue full steam, with or without FEMA funding.

JFR