[StBernard] A tale of two cities

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 25 22:27:52 EST 2009

Last night, President Obama unveiled his blueprint to "rebuild" America. And while he presented his vision with a hopeful tone, the details of his plans are just more of the same from Washington and the liberals who control the House and Senate.

More wasteful spending. More entitlements. More redistribution of your hard-earned tax dollars with strings attached. And more so-called federal "solutions" to problems better handled at the state level.

I was proud for our state as I watched our own Governor Bobby Jindal deliver the conservative response to the President's speech. In just a few moments, he captured the heart of our shared conservative message: Americans can do anything.

Governor Jindal drew upon his own family's experiences coming here from India, what he learned during Katrina, and what he's practicing now in Baton Rouge - that most of the time, the will and enterprising nature of our people can do much more than the government can. And more government usually means worse government.

You can see there is a big difference between "Washington thinking," which puts government first, and how we do things in Louisiana. Without an effective conservative answer to Washington liberals, we'll see only more and more government, higher taxes, and unprecedented handouts to anybody who asks for them.

That's why I need your help with my re-election campaign now. I'm hoping you'll take this opportunity to formally join my team by making a secure online contribution of $25, $50, $100, or even more <http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=ghKRJ1OAI7LOIdI&s=guJRL6OQLgJUKbPVIvE&m=adJAKKMjH5LPH> to help me wage the strongest possible campaign next November.

While 18 months may seem like a long time, it's actually not that far away. You know liberals will do everything they can to try to defeat me. And I don't need to tell you how nasty - and expensive - a Louisiana political campaign can be.

Help me build a strong foundation for my 2010 re-election campaign. It's not too early to help. Make a special gift of $25, $50, $100 at my web site today <http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=jkIXKaPMLaKVKnL&s=guJRL6OQLgJUKbPVIvE&m=adJAKKMjH5LPH> and support my efforts to be a voice for Louisiana common sense in the United States Senate.

As always, thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

Senator David Vitter