[StBernard] Pace quickens for St. Bernard demolitions

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Feb 28 00:36:27 EST 2009

Pace quickens for St. Bernard demolitions

09:56 PM CST on Friday, February 27, 2009

Scott Satchfield / Eyewitness News

In the next few weeks, as many as 400 homes in St. Bernard Parish could be
demolished. The pace is picking up, as the parish has one more month to let
the federal government pick up the tab for the work.

For homeowners like Peggy Perret, it's a good thing.

"I think after 3 years, if you haven't cleaned up, rebuilt, torn down or
rebuilt, it's time for the parish to, demolition, get rid of it, tear it
down, clean it out," Perret said.

She has been working hard to get her new home up and running -- but she said
the surrounding neighborhood still isn't moving forward.

"Don't let these blighted houses stand on the corner, in the neighborhood,
where it's an eyesore," Perret said. "It's totally disgusting to look at,
and it's a health hazard."

That's why Parish President Craig Taffaro said the effort to clean up the
blight is moving full speed ahead. Homes with a bright yellow sticker and a
red 'X', could be next.

"It's unfair for people to have to live amongst blight on an indefinite
basis," Taffaro said. "So, as people have returned, and new people have come
in, we want to make sure that we establish St Bernard as a clean community,
as a community that's not going to tolerate substandard living conditions,
and if people have fallen on hard times, but there's a way out of it, we
want to work with them."

But critics said Taffaro is moving too quickly, and not allowing people
sufficient time to get their work going. There is even a recall effort
underway to remove him from office.

Taffaro agrees it's a touchy subject, but the demolitions, he said, are
necessary.

"The intensity level and sort of the emotions are running a little bit
higher, because we're now at the end of the road in terms of FEMA funded
demolition, and so that's brought about a little bit more focus," Taffaro
said.

If your home has been tagged for demolition, Taffaro said you can still
appeal. He said all appeals go through his office. If you want to prove you
are working on your property, there are a few things you'll need to provide:

-Photos of interior and exterior to show progress

-Construction schedule

-Contract for the work

-Documents proving you are waiting on LRA money

More than 7,200 homes have been taken down since Hurricane Katrina wreaked
havoc on the parish. For some homeowners, it's important to keep going.

"You don't wanna see rats, and garbage from Katrina. And then people's not
doing anything to their house. If they haven't done it by now, get rid of
it," Perret said.