[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish President clarifies policy on demolitions

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Mar 2 19:57:25 EST 2009

GK, we're all listening. It could be that the policy now is to separate the
classes of those who have ability and those who do not.

They have done this every step of the way until hoards have left in
disagreement or frustration. I once thought that what St. Bernard needed was
growth. Growth through new people moving into the parish, growth through new
enterprise, new ventures, and development.

Assuming we get rid of 2/3 of the "old neighbors", St. Bernard is then left
with new ones--some that many long-time residents would have to accept,
whether they wish it or not. Some businesses which crowd the avenues by the
dozens (like Quick-E-Marts, Dollar Stores, etc instead of fascinating new
and good community corps and those which bring jobs and new
fashions/business, etc.

I've since thought that if all those slabs would be mounted atop each other
- that St. Bernardians could create great "op-art" and modern scenes that
would reach the planet Jupiter if stacked on top one another.

By God's grace can St. Bernardians expect full and plentiful recovery. To
make matters worse, watch for surging insurance rates because of past,
present and future storms and vacancies and our economy in the tank. To some
decision time is around the corner-but why quicken the outcome?

--jer--

Drive around the parish and look at the mess/junk lying on side of the road
at the entrances and throughout the area. Talk about a bunch of
"eyesores". There's crap that they are overlooking and that's O.K. but
have a house, clean on the inside, grass cut, with building permits and
that's not good enough.

The parish wants homeowners to show signs of progress on their homes but the
police cannot protect homeowners' properties and building materials from
thieves.

Things go missing. Windows get broken. All of my plumbing was removed from
my home. The thieves cut out the pipes at the slab which now requires to
bust into the concrete to reveal enough of the pipe to make necessary
repairs.

So the parish wants me to put more money into the house that neither I nor
the police can protect. I cannot be at my house in Chalmette every day to
deter thieves from taking my materials and removing my property at their
will. There aren't enough houses and neighbors around to keep an eye on
things to keep thieves away.

Bucaneer North - acres of slabs! They want MORE slabs!

Sure looks like the parish would rather get a free demo from FEMA than have
homeowners rebuild and return.

SAD !!!

GK