[StBernard] Letter to Editor: Request for Basic Fence Repairs and Screening

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Mar 9 09:42:25 EDT 2009

You would think the Parish Council and/or administration would have NO sayso
as to whether a buffer zone is needed between people and danger/toxic
chemicals being spewed across St. Bernard's airspace?

Ask those who have brain cancer, lung cancer, etc. whether they believe it's
100% safe stuff that's being emitted/scattered throughout the area. They'll
be frank with you in a conversation. I've once asked the PR person this and
she adamantly believes all is fine and rosy.

"Our neighborhood is nestled between St. Bernard Parish's only high school
and Murphy Oil's Meraux refinery.
The only thing separating our homes from the refinery is a mere pipeline
easement. Murphy Oil Corp. continues its use of this pipeline easement as a
makeshift parking lot. --SJK"

Jer Responds:

All: Whom do you believe, friends? My street is a mile or two from it and we
got oil when it spilled, refinery dust on cars (which I'm sure will fit into
the miniscule nostrils of a citizen) and effects from its "fine and rosy"
after-burn. After 33 yrs in da parish. I'm still feeling the effects and do
not know the end result yet? Think about it. Refineries always have the
answers and with "in kind" donations from them to "bribe" the public and
officials (always using lots of pictures and donations), I'd say citizens
who protest it are usually duped by the "wonder of such kind and generous
"neighbors".

It's probably OK to notice that most of the population in St. Bernard Parish
pre-K and after live within the 2-mile distance. Do you?

Fence, you say? Does the fence save one from the above dangers mentioned? I
was just as naïve and inhaled what the refineries had to offer.

--jer--