[StBernard] FEMA to cover cleanup costs in St. Bernard Parish's Blomquist Canal

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Mar 12 18:16:47 EDT 2009

FEMA to cover cleanup costs in St. Bernard Parish's Blomquist Canal
by The Times-Picayune
Thursday March 12, 2009, 2:23 PM
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security announced today that FEMA will
provide $130,000 for St. Bernard Parish to remove silt and debris from a
1,500-foot section of Blomquist Canal.

"We are going to help St. Bernard Parish finish their canal cleanup work,''
Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said in a news release. "Parish
President Craig Taffaro identified canal debris removal as one of the
parish's recovery priorities and we're committed to working with the parish
and state to see this through.''

Canals across the metro area remain clogged with silt and debris from
Hurricane Katrina. FEMA will send cleanup money to St. Bernard Parish, which
will hire a contractor to clean up Blomquist Canal, which is located in
Meraux.