[StBernard] Parents Should Raise the Bar for Their Kids

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Mar 13 09:55:24 EDT 2009

Parents Should Raise the Bar for Their Kids
by Rebecca Hagelin

Spring break is in full swing for many college students
across the country. And believe me, when I say "full
swing," I mean full-rockin', rollin' party-hearty swing-
ing!

But given that nearly all of these students' lifestyles
are still funded by their parents, and that nearly all
are still under the legal drinking age, it makes me
wonder: What are their parents thinking?

As a mom of two college men I actually find it fairly
easy to boldly proclaim: "If you are livin' on my dime,
then you are livin' by my rules."

My rules for them as adults are actually filled with
freedom, coupled with the principle of "self government."
They were raised with this consistent theme, and they
understand that my husband and I practice the "abuse and
lose" approach. (I.e., they have both freedom and our
full support as long as they follow basic rules that
provide for their safety, moral development, and future.)

Of course, I can hear the naysayers now: "But they're
adults. You can't tell adult children what to do." To
this I simply answer, "BALONEY!"

I am a much-older adult, and I understand that an employer
can impose certain codes and expectations for my behavior
on me. That's the deal in life -- you work for someone,
you have to play by their rules. (Of course I know they
can't trample your basic rights, deny civil liberties,
etc. So don't go there. You know what I'm talking about.)

The young college men in my life -- of whom I am so very
proud and blessed to be called their "mom" -- also know
that my husband and I are fully committed to them as
individuals and will provide plenty of opportunities for
good, safe fun.

Let's get back to Spring Break as an example. Instead of
shrugging our shoulders and letting them go off to some
distant beach where mayhem, alcohol and "Girls Gone Wild"
abound, I booked a house at our favorite beach, which is
located on a barrier island on Florida's Gulf Coast. With
no bridge (you have to get here by boat) and no bars,
this break is a lot safer and a lot more meaningful than
what many are experiencing.

One of my dear friends has a house nearby and her daughter,
also on Spring Break, has brought about nine of her "best
friends" too. So, there's plenty of social activity, fun
and friendship without the nonsense. The kids go back and
forth between our houses, so my friend and I both get to
spend time with them and listen to their entertaining --
and interesting -- chatter.

Last night the gang was at my friend's house and the main
topic of conversation proved an-eye-opening, mind-numbing
experience for her.

Most of the girls on this trip are freshmen, and somehow
the conversation led to a shared humiliating experience
now common at most college campuses: the mandatory co-ed,
sex-ed course they all attended during their first few
weeks on campus. They described the graphic nature of the
class, and how embarrassed and outraged they were when
they were shown how to put a condom on a banana.

But then it got worse -- they were all encouraged to do the
condom/banana exercise, too. The girls spoke of how a
couple of their fellow students seemed to take great pride
at their skill in demonstrating what seemed an all-too-
familiar maneuver. However, my young friends said they were
mortified and left the course feeling "trashy" and belittl-
ed by administration officials who expect them to all be-
have like wild animals in heat. "They seemed to be
encouraging us to be sexually active," one member of the
volley ball team said. "I was insulted and offended by the
entire experience."

This particular young co-ed had gone to a private Christian
high school, so she had managed to escape the low expect-
ations that many educators bring to today's youth. She and
her mom weren't aware that in today's public schools,
millions of boys and girls are now, indeed, treated as if
they are going to be sex-crazed creatures and, therefore,
are actually encouraged to engage in risky behavior.

Face it: When an adult in authority stands in front of the
classroom and directs graphic discussions of sex in every
form, forces boys and girls to sit by each other throughout
the humiliating lectures, and then further violates the
child's natural tendencies to be private or modest, then
you end up with kids who follow what they've been taught.
On the other hand, when kids are treated with dignity,
taught the value of abstinence, and how to avoid placing
themselves in compromising situations in the first place,
the research shows that more of them do, indeed, respond
by adopting a lifestyle of self-control and more respons-
ible behavior than those drowning in "sex ed". Also
critical to the delayed on-set of sexual activity is
parental involvement. I can not overstate the influence
that loving, connected parents have on their teens and
young adult children. You'll find loads of data and re-
search on both points at www.abstinenceclearninghouse.com
and www.familyfacts.org

Which, once again, brings me back to the plethora of wild
Spring Break "pah-tays" going on around the country as
you read this. I wonder: if more public junior high and
high schools joined hands with more parents in teaching
abstinence education, the concepts of self-worth and basic
morality, wouldn't our nation's kids have a higher view
of themselves and rise to meet the expectations?

And if colleges and parents expected better of our kids,
wouldn't more of them choose the higher ground? If more
parents took the effort to provide safer -- but still
"way fun" -- supervised beach trips and other options
for college kids, would more of them opt for something
other than the drunken orgies that many Spring Break
trips have become? In short, are older adults getting
exactly the type of behavior from young adults that we
expect?

Granted, my personal "focus group" is small. But the
data, my experience, and the e-mails I receive from
thousands of people tell me this: Young adults are still
malleable, still looking for direction, and still crave
to rise above the status quo. But they need help and
encouragement. They need to be told that they can be self-
controlled people of strong character, and they need to
be provided with opportunities to thrive, have fun, and
become men and women they can be proud of.

Young adults rise or fall to the expectation levels set
for them. Will you help raise the bar?