[StBernard] St. Bernard President Craig Taffaro vetoes law to legalize fireworks

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Mar 21 08:48:11 EDT 2009

" St. Bernard Parish President Craig Taffaro vetoes law to legalize
fireworks - 1981 public referendum banned fireworks sale "

Jer Responds:

Ok, here's the spiel:

1. No sale = other parishes' sales
2. Parishioners are going to pop fireworks regardless: It's part of the
American spirit to the celebrators.
3. Fires are still 1000-1 in favor of people's carelessness with space
heaters, smoking, letting kids play with matches (or allowing the matches to
be found (ask me, I almost burned my parents house down at 6 yrs old
lighting a box of matches under the house after lighting an old mattress
underneath the home).
4. Stone's had his serious talk with Taffaro ;)
5. Fireworks in the hands of irresponsible people is as bad as putting them
behind the wheel (drunk or sober).
6. The devil made them do it! The devil also puts a gun or knife in their
hands also.
7. Gunpowder and homemade bombs are the dreams of a science project
student--and, at the same time a thin line appears between a terrorist
bomber and this young, project manager. (it also applies to the young at
heart, but pathetic, stupid bomber who believes he's Timothy McVeigh or the
Unibomber.
8. Ahhhhh.... "Sixth pack of Dixie" (sorry, wrong listing, but it was
amusing <G>.
9. Smokey da Bear vs. "Yats who just wanna partee'-hartee'" - Hmmm, who's da
winner?
10(th), but not finally, -- Stone's had more serious talks with Taffaro ;)

BTW, I don't pop fireworks but have in the past when I thought I could
afford them, but really couldn't. I loved the glamour but failed to realize
fireworks in my hands was not cool. I loved the big-poppers when they were
legal, but realized a 1/4 stick of dynamite in a teen's hand (even though
instructions specifically told me to put it on the ground first) is risky.

But, I do like to watch them and hope no one gets hurt. Then again, I hope
no one gets hurt in auto accidents, bad relationships and O-B-1's economy
blunders!

<smile>

--jer--