[StBernard] Taking Care of our Veterans

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Mar 31 22:46:18 EDT 2009

March 31, 2009

Taking Care of our Veterans

Two weeks ago we visited Shreveport to talk about reforms to our
correctional system, which will be, as the Shreveport Times
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=XGiu6JbnGUe2SluLSrynzns
zskwAtiKDFGoo7N5yx54%3d&digest=lPeL4vHb0lqsz LhUbsQZBw> wrote, "a step
toward making sure those who are released have every chance to succeed
without returning to prison." The Baton Rouge Advocate
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=0p9qjrH6346guMcmeyNkNS3
2HPN9h2cvD2lL3HOHG14%3d&digest=upPiZF%2bGm1mY9svx6aPtcQ> also stated that
"benefits to society in general and the taxpayer in particular would be
great," upon the program's success.

This past week, we traveled to the Louisiana War Veterans Home in Jackson to
announce a new proposal that will allow more veterans to be eligible for
care at our state's War Veterans Homes.

As reported by the Baton Rouge Advocate
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=U%2fit0r1oWA%2bYoPOcBgT
aBJ12HrFQPUXVBtqxB9xCTb0%3d&digest=Xzzwpa6oh4WM3RdS5jM2bw> , "current state
law restricts el igibility to veterans who served during the periods
designated by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as the World War II,
Korean War, Vietnam War and Gulf War eras." This leaves those veterans who
served during peacetime ineligible, and needs to be changed.

<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=AKMNdvd%2bVgn5pB5jP0gw2
SeLOyokOAtAIVQMiQgYIQ8%3d&digest=yIix2%2fnKm7Y5Q8V9sKOVJg>
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=E7DPWeLQSdX7eEb%2f%2b%2
bjE8%2b3buFDNTVJ45nq6hY4fMA4%3d&digest=IrEFHjde68SZD11SwGAyGw> Read More >
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=wYAwlCor
LCcQPPzxQMYb1VMU0y4yZCa4B0G0Ckyw9eQ%3d&digest=ZBCCRUuzwcZpIGZdYjUu8w>

Furthering Economic Development

<http://images.publicaster.com/ImageLibrary/account848/images/09-03-031LGAPt
angi.jpg> Our state's economy continues to outperform the national economy,
as evidenced by the facts that we were the only state in the country to add
jobs in December of last year and February of this year and the only state
whose unemployment rate went down in January. We are also moving forward
with several initiatives to strengthen it further.

Last week we also announced the creation of the Louisiana Innovation
Council, which will, as the Baton Rouge Advocate reported, "bring together
leaders in academia, the business community, economic development and work
force, as well as entrepreneurs 'to cultivate and foster Louisiana's
innovation ecosystem.'" By helping the state develop and implement specific
policies aimed at maximizing our economy, the Council will serve an
important role in the coming months and years.

I traveled to Monroe early last week to join Computer Programs and Systems,
Inc. (CPSI) in announcing an expansion of their facilities to Northeast
Louisiana. CPSI will open a new call center in Monroe which will create 40
new jobs in their first year and 100 new jobs over the next four years. CPSI
chose Monroe over many other potential locations, showing that businesses
nationwide are taking notice that our state's economy continues to perform w
ell, and that times are changing for the better in Louisiana. As this
article in the Los Angeles Times
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=JBiG%2fPVcjgg5RX%2bA4aU
Kv9qj%2f5Ei%2bOEM6He7qSYEA%2fk%3d&digest=TxkXGII7Nisv6a0UIRwd7Q> shows, the
old way of doing things is no longer being tolerated.
Read More >
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=1txvkhiOQiM0KjRrWKdyxR1
TghBPwDrJRqE2uuOVqAQ%3d&digest=kqt9FRXxr5u1Oscjml%2bgZA>

Helping Neighbors in Need

Due to the current conditions along the Red River in North Dakota, we
announced at the end of last week that our state wil l be, as WDSU
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=%2fTAiQiDimyLNRH%2bbuc3
juJuizUFq4fxAWNalBBE%2fnZE%3d&digest=qxGzT83kBYCakKx%2fwXwUPQ> reported,
"lending its experience in dealing with severe flooding to a state that
could really use it." We will send an Emergency Management Assistance
Compact (EMAC) Advance Team from the Governor's Office of Homeland Security
and Emergency Preparedness (GOHSEP) to Bismarck.

Read More >
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=y98wiCRHsZaoWaNVjG7t5JI
nL%2bj6Sa%2br96%2bOjtMkNZI%3d&digest=2sr6MKbOwz%2bCRV8%2fOCgFSw>

Sincerely,
Governor Bobby Jindal

In This Issue

*
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=Xjji%2fUQDjq8WxanuNde%2
bwPk9E0urIQ2JZywLm8NYKhw%3d&digest=bPG3YfFrDzX7OTI1%2fSwZQw> Taking Care of
our Veterans
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=QQOsnSurQT0s%2fECLvnDmy
8F6kgqkKjyyepvkWygluQ8%3d&digest=CMZ5fB vYc%2fZ9%2fXV3BHGvEg>
*
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=zuWxBBmXd17E52rZ6APG0tD
k9%2bqG84QTKiGdC46cUcM%3d&digest=dOfVlL5nJD6UfBwUvmzBrw> Furthering Economic
Development
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=ftCE%2f5iasHn6GSPJtvpJc
uxMK8Pz4D3LWTvijV%2fJejc%3d&digest=Y4RoxEHS2SActnzhTxnSSg>
*
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=udr4fwmC1YXerFC6stXyJwD
U1Ps2Dk6h%2fa6qPALjZjs%3d&digest=bt1QhOj935qCo9XU79ypaA> Helping Neighbors
in Need
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=XJ0pWefnCnwUCayyoV1a08D
huhZZ%2fBTzum3O2czanhk%3d&digest=Dx6Rn8aGY9bRsVQxFrfIxA>