[StBernard] Ending Sanctuary Cities for Illegal Immigrants

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Apr 6 22:17:50 EDT 2009

Dear Friend,

This week I introduced an amendment to the budget debate to crack down on
illegal immigrant havens known as "sanctuary cities."

Despite a federal law which requires local governments to report illegal
immigrants to Department of Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs
Enforcement (ICE), many large urban cities and some small ones have adopted
so-called "sanctuary cities policies." Generally, sanctuary policies
instruct city employees to not notify the federal government of the
presence of illegal aliens living in their communities. The reality is that
many of our largest cities have defied federal law and have adopted
sanctuary polices protecting illegal aliens from enforcement agencies.

Last summer an illegal alien, Edwin Ramos, was charged with three counts of
murder in San Francisco after he shot and killed Tony Bologna and his two
sons while they where driving home from a family picnic. Ramos, a native
of El Salvador who was a reputed member of the gang MS-13, had been
arrested at least three times before the shooting of the Bologna family.
He was living illegally in the United States with no documentation of
legal status or temporary visa status, but he was never deported because of
San Francisco's sanctuary city policies.

I've been pushing for an end to sanctuary cities policies on numerous
occasions, but many of my Senate colleagues refuse to confront this rapidly
growing problem. So I tried again this week with my amendment to the budget
debate. But again, senators were reluctant to take a vote and show which
members of the Senate are serious about letting dangerous criminal aliens
continue to commit crimes and receive benefits without enforcement.

Rest assured as the U.S. Senate continues to debate the issues regarding
illegal immigration, I will continue fighting to make sure that Louisianans
voices are heard.

Sincerely,
David Vitter
U.S. Senator