[StBernard] Supporting our seafood industry

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Apr 16 21:33:14 EDT 2009

Dear Friend,

I know how important the seafood industry is in Louisiana, supporting
thousands of jobs and our way of life. That's why I introduced an
amendment to the federal budget that would protect the domestic industry
from unsafe imports and unfair trade practices.

First, it would allow for legislation to require tougher inspection and
testing requirements for imported seafood products. We should do more to
ensure that imported seafood products do not contain chemicals, antibiotics
or any substances that are banned in the United States.

Also, the amendment seeks to end "port shopping," a practice used by many
importers who attempt to bring rejected shipments of seafood into another
port. It calls for legislation to create procedures to prevent the import
of rejected seafood. I believe that seafood imported should not be able to
avoid rules that our domestic producers have to follow.

Finally, my amendment seeks to address the major problem of unenforced
trade laws. It calls for legislation to increase the collection of
antidumping duties that are assessed on unfairly traded imported seafood
products. Between 2003 and 2008, more than $560 million in antidumping
duties owed on imported seafood products went uncollected, amounting to 70
percent of what should have been paid. Our trade laws are not effective to
protect our domestic seafood industry if they go unenforced more than 70
percent of the time.

I'll continue working on these and other measures to support the seafood
industry, which is so vital to Louisiana.

Sincerely,
David Vitter
U.S. Senator