[StBernard] Protecting Families and Streamlining Government

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue May 19 21:34:53 EDT 2009

May 19, 2009

Protecting Families and Streamlining Government

We took some great steps forward during this past week of session, as two
more bills in our package to crack down on sex offenders and protect our
children moved through the Legislature. I am pleased to see that, as the New
Orleans Times-Picayune
<http://www.nola.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/base/national-14/1242172609214700.
xml&storylist=louisiana> reported, these important bills to help protect
our families "are hitting little opposition in the Legislature."

House Bill 476, which prohibits many forms of contact that convicted sex
offenders have with children, was passed by the House of Representatives
with a unanimous vote. Thi s legislation will, among other things, prohibit
sexual contact between teachers and students until age 21, instead of the
current 19, make it illegal for sex predators to reside within 1,000 feet of
a child care facility or group and residential homes, and ensure that
offenders whose crime involved a child under the age of thirteen do not own,
operate, or work for a child care facility. Additionally, Senate Bill 238,
which gives the Department of Social Services the sole authority to issue
and revoke childcare licenses, was passed unanimously by the Senate. Read
More >
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=JXHzd2oOvv2oRRZt039jFHe
D3TANVd9VDin7XTbE06Q%3d&digest=0qJ5vcpH2Ik4lCub4M921A>

Making Progress Statewide

We are working hard to ensure that our communities statewide have access to
the resources and opportunities they need. For example, we recently
announced a new deal with the New Orleans Saints to keep the team in
Louisiana through at least 2025 - a deal that the Shreveport Times
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=qFx2mG9GGm%2fRDHvgMmPCG
5cVHpIu1DPJw%2f%2b9wstdhSY%3d&digest=WsRoLfIDxHRK0H75lwDhPQ> called "a wise
investment."

We also recently completed a series of agreements and bills that will allow
the Pilgrim's Pride facility in Farmerville to be sold to Foster Farms,
saving more than 1,000 jobs. As the Ouachita Citizen
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=wjcP4xifpRfJFsU87u5f2Z5
mX%2frk9IdVAu27jxTeM%2fs%3d&digest=%2f4X%2bNaPWwUNkCfl8BwjMPw> wrote, we
"delivered when it counted," and as the Monroe News-Star
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=KED%2b%2fm3WFqCDuur9WTE
rh1tfuJpQpLH2CNqkzhfu0B8%3d&digest=IWIwot%2frIcIGLGzzpZ1QIA> said, we
"never wavered in serving the people." These two deals will offer a
significant boost to not only their local economies, but the entire state as
well.
Read More >
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=RmetaFR0iGp9cGkhckQjhpt
vUxA39qCX4lU%2fAqb4r7I%3d&digest=zqe%2b0TwxJK80ncqJnmBIQQ>

Honoring our Veterans

It was with great admiration that I attended the Disabled American Veterans'
88th annual state convention in Baton Rouge last week. Our disabled veterans
embody the sort of dedication and commitment to our nation that will live on
for generations, and I was truly humbled to take part in their convention.
We were also able to present more than 80 Louisiana Veterans' Honor Medals
at the event.

Since becoming Governor, I have been able to spend time with members of our
Armed Forces as they prepare to deploy around the world, upon their return
home, and to honor them for their sacrifices with the Veterans Honor Medal.
These men, women, and their families have sacrificed so much, and they
deserve our utmost respect for that. Read More >
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=3lWBaqXEyJiuAdJsxG2KIrg
zEmhbCpoMUzOgzOIhwWU%3d&digest=ErkHdIuQNPohXYRx8W4Img>

Congratulating our Graduates

I visited both Grambling State University and Bossier Parish Community
College last week to speak at their commencement ceremonies, and I was
honored to share in such a huge moment in these student's lives. As reported
by the Shreveport Times
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=z91%2bInHCczw4sZFs3VhVE
PrhkPO4vRSor%2bvR3kqFFSA%3d&digest=HHKIlFbFsbTnH0OhRxrxbw> , I reminded the
students that they "can dream big right here at hom e" as they enter the
workforce, and that we are taking important steps that will ensure Louisiana
continues to be the best place in the world to raise a family and get a job.
I wish all of our graduates the best of luck, and look forward to seeing
them lead Louisiana forward in the years to come.

Sincerely,

Governor Bobby Jindal