[StBernard] A Message from Congressman Charlie Melancon

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jun 3 20:56:59 EDT 2009

Dear Mr. Annis:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding the proposed tax
increases on the oil and gas industry. I really appreciate hearing your
views, and I understand your concerns.

As you know, the oil and gas industry is a huge component of Louisiana's
economy, and many people in our district have good-paying jobs as a result
of our state's rich natural resources.

I was as concerned as you are when I learned that the oil and gas industry
would be unfairly targeted in the budget. Since I came to Congress, I have
been working to keep jobs in Louisiana, reduce our dependence on foreign
oil, and maintain reasonable gas prices by encouraging more oil and gas
production off our own shores.

When the President sent his budget proposal to Congress for consideration,
it included more than $30 billion in tax increases for the oil and gas
industry. I view these tax increases on the industry as an affront to
everything we have worked toward, which is why I led the charge to have
these harmful provisions removed from the budget resolution. They were
excluded from the budget that the House of Representatives passed, and I
will do everything in my power to keep them out of future bills.

I am pleased that Chairman Spratt of the Budget Committee listened carefully
to the concerns of Louisiana and acted accordingly. By working with the
president and leadership in Congress, I believe I can effect positive change
for Louisiana, and I will continue to do so as we work to help families in
Louisiana and across the nation.

I am proud to represent Louisiana's Third Congressional District, and I am
here to serve you. Please do not hesitate to contact me again if I may be of
further assistance. Please visit my website at www.house.gov/melancon to
sign up for my e-newsletter to learn more about my work at home and in
Washington.

Sincerely,
Charlie Melancon

Member of Congress