[StBernard] Obama's Dependable Vote

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sun Jun 28 11:21:18 EDT 2009

Oops! Found another one on Charlie:

http://www.whorunsgov.com/Profiles/Charlie_Melancon

I liked this part:

Melancon is one of the least reliable Democrats. During the 109th Congress,
Melancon voted with the Democrats just just 67 percent. He supported
President George W. Bush's proposals 72 percent of the time in 2006 (by
comparison, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) supported the
president 25 percent in 2006). In 2006, he had a higher rating from the
American Conservative Union (76 percent) than he does from the liberal
Americans for Democratic Action (40 percent).CQ's Politics in America
2008(3)CQ's Politics in America 2008

Melancon votes with conservatives on most social issues. He supports gun
owners' rights, wants to define marriage as being between a man and a woman,
and introduced failed legislation during the 109th Congress expressing the
sense of the Congress that displaying the Ten Commandments in public
buildings does not violate the First Amendment. He is anti-abortion rights,
but he breaks with conservatives on stem cell research and supports the use
of embryonic stem cells. "This is pro-life in that it will give people a
better quality of life," he said. "Anyone who says this is anti-pro-life
doesn't want to take a real look at it."Walsh, Bill, "Stem-cell spending
OK'd by House; But president vows 2nd veto of the measure," Times-Picayune
(New Orleans), Jan. 12, 2007(7)

This past week, it was widely reported that President Obama and
Congressional liberals have talked one their most dependable southern votes,
Charlie Melancon, into challenging me for the United States Senate.

President Obama and the Congressional liberals have overwhelming
control of the U.S. House of Representatives. And they are on the verge of
filibuster-proof, unchecked power in the U.S. Senate that would force their
radical agenda upon us all. But I am standing in the way of that.

I've been called "one of the biggest thorns in the Obama
Administration's side." I've been an outspoken opponent of President Obama's
requests for more taxpayer-funded bailouts, his $800 billion stimulus, and
Obama's bloated budget.

In contrast, President Obama's close ally Charlie Melancon voted
with him on every one of these crucial issues. Melancon endorsed Obama in
2008, voted in lock step for Obama's $800 billion stimulus plan, and
supported his horrendous budget which will double our national debt in five
years and triple it in ten. Melancon even voted for the $700 billion Wall
Street Bailout twice.

There couldn't be a clearer contrast in voting records for Louisiana
voters to decide on next fall. But I need your help now to begin to get that
message out. Please contribute to my campaign now in time for our next
finance report due June 30.
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=dsJKK0OKImLZJhJ&s=aoLFLOOsHaJIITOxFpF&m=koJ
MKROwHaJPH>

Thank you for standing by me - for standing up for Louisiana - as we
fight for our future.

David Vitter