[StBernard] Federal Funding for Hurricane and Flood Protection in Southeast Louisiana

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Jul 11 15:47:14 EDT 2009

Dear Friend,

I wanted to share some good news with you about more than $30 million in
new federal funding that will soon be heading to southeast Louisiana to
improve our hurricane and flood protection.

This week I secured $23 million in federal funding for the Louisiana
Coastal Area Ecosystem Restoration project.

The LCA project plays a vital role in preserving our state's vanishing
coastline. The LCA project funding will help complete the Barataria Basin
Shoreline feasibility study and continue work on the beneficial use of the
dredged materials program and the Bayou Lafourche, Myrtle Grove and Chenier
plain feasibility studies. Funds will also help initiate the MRGO
ecosystem restoration feasibility study.

We must preserve these coastal areas and wetlands that support a truly
unique ecosystem and provide natural hurricane and flood protection for our
state.

I also secured $3 million in funding to finish the Army Corps of Engineers'
Louisiana Coastal Protection and Restoration study. Specifically, this
LACPR funding will go toward developing a full range of flood control,
coastal restoration and storm damage reduction measures for south
Louisiana.

This report has been too long in coming. And this funding should be more
than enough for the Corps to finish the study and accelerate their work so
that we have a much higher level of protection in place.

For the operation and maintenance of the Bonnet Carre Spillway I secured
$3.5 million. This funding will also be used for natural resource
management within the spillway, structure maintenance and raising of guide
levees.

And $425,000 in federal funding will soon be here to help improve hurricane
protection along the west shore of Lake Pontchartrain. This funding will
go toward a study to determine the economic feasibility of providing
increased levels of hurricane protection to residents living in St.
Charles, St. John the Baptist and St. James Parishes. The potential for
the catastrophic loss of life and property damage continues to increase as
land within the West Shore study area is converted from agriculture use to
residential and industrial use. The study area is an extremely
fast-growing residential area and has a low level of hurricane protection.

In St. Charles Parish, I secured $391,000 for the parish's urban flood
control to investigate methods to reduce flood damages caused by rainfall.
This funding will also contribute to studies on how to properly evacuate
floodwaters from the area protected by the Lake Pontchartrain and Vicinity
Hurricane Protection levee.

These funds were included in the U.S. Senate's Energy and Water
Appropriations Bill, which passed through the U.S. Senate Appropriations
Committee this week and will soon go the Senate floor for consideration.

Sincerely,
David Vitter
U.S. Senator