[StBernard] Louisiana Named Co-State of the Year

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jul 22 08:08:48 EDT 2009

July 21, 2009

Louisiana Named Co-State of the Year

Last week brought the great news that Southern Business & Development
magazine named Louisiana as Co-state of the Year, more evidence that people
around the country are taking notice of what we are doing here in Louisiana.
As quoted in the New Orleans Times-Picayune
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=UrFTR2GQAYgJGL%2faRCxqO
bDlvG1XjJ9O3UJdxTBeqt0%3d&digest=1eIQ6Tx%2bsMmIXM6zTPncHw> , the magazine
wrote "Louisiana has come a long way since the mid-1990s. Back then, we
remember a couple of years when the biggest job deals were new Wal-Mart
stores. Those days are gone, replaced by a Louisiana economy that is as
vibrant as any in the South."

The magazine's rankings are based on the number of companies publicly
committing 200 jobs or $30 million in investments. By welcoming investments
such as the relocation of Albemarle's headquarters, Shaw Group's expansion
in Lake Charles, and Global Strike Command in Shreveport-Bossier, we are
showing that Louisiana is open for business.

Additionally, SB&D named New Orleans its Major Market of the Year, Baton
Rouge its Mid-Market of the Year, and recognized Terrebonne Parish for the
many significant projects coming to the parish. Our main goal is to ensure
that Louisiana's children do not have to leave Louisiana to pursue their
dreams, and we will continue working to bring more opportunities to our
state. Read More >
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=UzhTupgiuG%2bW9c6XO%2fo
H3fL90wgasQ75E92jAwDBfkw%3d&digest=o8i3ZtR9xz0e6ZWtBaGo6w>

Welcoming More Investment

As I said in the Shreveport Times
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=XqLhk15VkfB1bgyneZvrftn
Q3DDHwFglp8PAoFesing%3d&digest=nlJ5UpFIt9wkpmNxyvZ8%2bw> , "It comes down to
jobs, jobs, jobs," and I joined officials from Stupp Bros., Inc. last week
for the dedication of the company's expanded facility in Baton Rouge. As
reported by the Baton Rouge Advocate
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=hH9untH%2bIDUAbRXlbtVHo
soVoRQ2vkTVp5NFeCKRwdk%3d&digest=NFU4flW%2bve2j27bqcwJ4Rg> , "Stupp Corp.is
growing from 193 jobs before the expansion to 398 jobs." These jobs will pay
on average $63,000 plus benefits.

A major component of growing our economy will come from encouraging our
current businesses and business owners to expand and create new jobs here in
Louisiana. Stupp is a great example of this, and shows that despite a
national economic downturn we are continuing to bring new investment to our
state. Stupp will use the Louisiana FastStart Program, which ensures a
qualified workforce for those doing business in Louisiana, as well as the
Quality Jobs and Incumbent Worker Training Programs.

We also recently signed a multitude of new tax credits into law that will
help keep Louisiana competitive. Two of these bills are designed to help our
ports compete, and, as the New Orleans Times-Picayune
<http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/editorials/index.ssf?/base/news-5/124780871123
8590.xml&coll=1> wrote, are "appropriate, targeted measures to lure
important investments to the state." And last week also saw the official
return to work for employees of the new Foster Farms facility in
Farmerville, and, as written by the Monroe News-Star
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=yUJYPbx3bNx%2fNDe3zeUOY
jDgzGq2uoUDyMXXaOOVqH4%3d&digest=z6SEKAP8GqIOx6IoU3uWVg> , "It's a welcome
day for northern Louisiana, Union Parish and hard-working people around the
region that want to earn a paycheck again." Read More >
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=DNwTEWwSHOOuIQI6cSLsxDE
blsOg5eEQarhw2KgYQ%2fY%3d&digest=X%2bhBAQI%2fpkSEhVh2rCyieg>

Ensuring Government Efficiency

I recently signed some important bills into law that will ensure that state
government is living within its means just as any Louisiana family has to
do. Senate Bill 2 will eliminate the two-year limit on cutting dedicated
funds, and SB 267 will require dedicated funds to undergo an annual
reporting process - bringing greater transparency and accountability to
these protected funds. These bills will give us the tools we need when faced
with long-term budget concerns, and the flexibility to help protect higher
education and health care from disproportionate cuts.

Additionally, as WAFB
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=UAvmaFPDG%2bRife3riyAZD
DbW%2b7duJ72KDycORetDzZg%3d&digest=G6CgrxRp3ttfSp6XyF%2b4yQ> reported,
House Bill 852 "abolishes numerous outdated state boards and state
commissions." By eliminating duplicative, outdated, and in some cases
unnecessary boards and commissions, we are taking a great step forward in
streamlining state government.

I also signed SB 261, which finalizes the creation of the Commission on
Streamlining Government. The commission will provide extensive reports on
ways to streamline and make sure that state government is doing more with
less, which will be critical as we move forward with making government more
efficient. As the Alexandria Town Talk
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=F8LrMYN0gMUnjr%2bfN%2bf
eqoXpES63MwddKUmSDfvxtzs%3d&digest=r%2fecKIKWWHBQdyeRt7JO6Q> wrote, "This is
a milestone moment." Read More >
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=LGtGr7mp0E9QxjJx%2fcbXW
wU9hpJxIEvk9mOKE2raxAg%3d&digest=fdjZFvUn9cfp8QCSRpnLbg>

Continuing The Louisiana Working Tour

We continued the Louisiana Working Tour last week, visiting Opelousas, Ville
Platte, Kenner, Ponchatoula, Gray, Lockport, Alexandria, and Mt. Hermon. As
the Houma Daily Comet
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=E9GGeUnsF8iQEBU9vGBbtRw
v0t5LOMolIv3KObDbyFU%3d&digest=wnld7LZym0aTZ3sv3StmsA> wrote, "the picture
here continues to be bright," and I am looking forward to visiting even more
communities across our state in the coming weeks. Read More >
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=kC1tFTQ4qtK2ujl6I4xVx%2
bnVT8oN8SmPW7wgMQDv2gc%3d&digest=Pq7p0j8II40NDggj27mJnw>

Sincerely,
Governor Bobby Jindal