[StBernard] St. Bernard beginning to see return of big chain stores

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jul 27 08:22:11 EDT 2009

St. Bernard beginning to see return of big chain stores

05:55 PM CDT on Sunday, July 26, 2009

Maya Rodriguez / Eyewitness News

mrodriguez at wwltv.com

CHALMETTE, La. - It was one of the hardest hit parishes during Hurricane
Katrina. Now, though, St. Bernard Parish is experiencing what could be
described as a renaissance in their business community.

The signs of construction are just one indication of the potential economic
comeback.

"We looked at 2009 as one of our breakthrough years and it's been a year of
flurry of activity on the recovery side," said St. Bernard Parish President
Craig Taffaro.

Katrina damaged nearly every single property in this parish. Businesses
there were no exception.

"I'd like Wal-Mart to come back, you know, and you know stores to come back,
grocery stores and stuff," said resident Amelia Johnson.

In June, the parish announced Wal-Mart would return during next spring.
Other big box retailers like Lowe's and Big Lots have chosen to move in - as
has a new strip mall in Chalmette.

"These guys don't do anything off the cuff," Taffaro said. "So, when these
big box stores come in, they know, or at least they're anticipating enough
traffic and enough walking up business, that's going to make them survive."

It could also potentially spur other businesses to crop as well, especially
restaurant establishments, which parish officials said are coming back
strong.

"What we know is the ancillary businesses, the spin-off businesses, are very
productive in those situations," Taffaro said. "So, we continue to see
that."

All of them are welcome sights to some St. Bernard residents, who said they
have waited so long for a sense of normalcy.

"It's taken time, like everything, took time. It didn't get to where it was
before the storm overnight," said resident Angelo Gonzales. "I mean, it took
years to build up. It's going to take time to come back."

"It seems like it's getting built up pretty good and they have a lot of
people coming back," said Maxie Tamburello, a St. Bernard resident.

Officials hope that means residents, both new and old, will return, too -
emboldened by businesses that are willing to invest there.

"Those economic engines, that will also provide a quality of life standard,
give people who are on the fence or who have been waiting for that right
opportunity, to make that decision to come home," Taffaro said.

Taffaro said a new hospital in St. Bernard, currently under design, is also
expected to spur new businesses associated with medical care.