[StBernard] eupdate 7 27 09

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jul 27 20:11:41 EDT 2009

e-update
7.27.09

IN THIS ISSUE
WORKING TO PROVIDE CHEAPER PRESCRIPTION DRUGS TO THOSE WHO NEED THEM THE
MOST
FIGHTING TO PREVENT ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION
PROVIDING THE RIGHT FLOOD CONTROL RESOURCES TO THE NEW ORLEANS AREA
KEEPING HIGHWAY AND TRANSPORTATION PROJECTS GOING

This month, we scored a huge win for Americans who are concerned about
lowering the cost of prescription medicines for seniors and other
individuals who need them the most. Also this month, I helped prevent the
White House from getting rid of an important tool in the fight against
illegal immigration. And last month, I offered a bill that would provide
alternatives to help fund transportation and highway projects across
America.

Below you can read about these and other issues that I'm working on, such as
ensuring that the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers provides the right flood
control resources to Southeastern Louisiana.

David Vitter

P.S. - Please feel free to forward the newsletter to your friends, neighbors
and business associates, and encourage them to sign up for their own copy by
visiting my Web site at http://vitter.senate.gov/.

This month I was honored to receive the Taxpayer's Friend Award from the
National Taxpayer's Union in recognition of my support for lower taxes and
limited government. Here I am with Pete Sepp, NTU's Vice President for
Policy and Communications.

WORKING TO BRING CHEAPER PRESCRIPTION DRUGS TO THOSE WHO NEED THEM THE MOST

This month, the U.S. Senate approved my amendment to the Homeland Security
Appropriations Bill that will allow U.S. citizens to purchase FDA-approved
prescription medicines at a lower cost from Canada either in person or via
the Internet and ship or carry them back into the United States.

As many Americans, particularly senior citizens, struggle to manage the
costs of paying for expensive drugs, this provision will provide them with
some relief and a means to gain access to the medicines they need but so
often cannot afford. This is a huge win for Americans concerned about the
lowering the cost of common, expensive prescription drugs and a major
defeat for the big drug companies and their powerful lobbying interests.

FIGHTING TO PREVENT ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION

President Obama recently issued an executive order that ended the critical
"no match" rule to prevent Social Security fraud by illegal aliens. The
"no-match" rule alerts employers when employees have Social Security
numbers that don't match records at the Social Security Administration, and
it provides responsible business owners with an effective means of
identifying illegal workers.

But I offered an amendment to push back against this executive order that
weakened employer enforcement, and the U.S. Senate unanimously approved it
requiring the Department of Homeland Security to overturn President Obama's
order and continue this important fraud catching program.

PROVIDING THE RIGHT FLOOD CONTROL RESOURCES TO THE ORLEANS AREA

Hurricane protection and flood control are issues on which we can all
agree, regardless of party affiliation, and this week, U.S. Sen. Mary
Landrieu joined me in introducing a bill that will direct the U.S. Army
Corps of Engineers to take a series of specific actions regarding flood
control systems in New Orleans. I have been consistently disappointed in
the Corps' inability to come to the right conclusion when it comes to New
Orleans flood control concerns.

Thousands of local residents have to contend with the very real threat of
being flooded out of their homes, yet the Corps continues to recommend
solutions based solely on cost, without giving proper consideration to more
important concerns, such as safety. My new bill would direct them to take
the right action with their work on New Orleans' outfall canals, which are
critical to flood protection in the greater New Orleans area as they funnel
water away from urban areas toward the Mississippi River. The people of
the greater New Orleans area deserve to be safe, and it's time that the
Corps began taking the necessary steps to make that happen.

KEEPING HIGHWAY AND TRANSPORTATION PROJECTS GOING

The Highway Trust Fund provides funding for vital transportation projects
across the country but is on track to run out of money in less than two
months. Federal law mandates that the Highway Trust Fund cannot fall below
zero dollars, and the fund is currently expected to reach zero dollars by
August. At that point, payments on all transportation projects will become
intermittent at best.

Last month, I introduced the Highway Investment Protection Act of 2009 to
allocate stimulus legislation funds to the Highway Trust Fund and keep
transportation projects going. Instead of borrowing more money from China
or raising taxes in these difficult times, my bill would apply a portion of
the stimulus money to actual 'shovel-ready' infrastructure projects - like
I-49, LA 1 or I-10 - that are vital to our economy and communities. By
providing the White House budget director with the ability to use funds
already appropriated under the stimulus bill, we can effectively manage this
shortfall without further deficit spending, which is the last thing we need
in a period of such economic distress and massive debt.

For any other questions or concerns visit my Web site at:
www.vitter.senate.gov.