[StBernard] Questioning Federal Reserve Chairman Bernanke About Audits of the Federal Reserve

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jul 29 17:21:55 EDT 2009

Dear Friend,

Recently, as a member of the Senate Committee on Banking, Housing and Urban
Affairs, I questioned the Chairman of the Federal Reserve Board, Ben
Bernanke, about the need for fuller, regular audits of all activities of
the Federal Reserve.

These audits would provide much needed transparency to the actions of the
Federal Reserve, given the key role it played in the bailouts of the past
year. From Bear Stearns, to AIG, to the countless "lending facilities"
that it created out of thin air to prop up failing companies, the Federal
Reserve's balance sheet rose back above $2 trillion.

As a co-author of S. 604, the Federal Reserve Sunshine Act, I support full
audits of the Federal Reserve. The bill would reform the Federal Reserve
System by requiring the Government Accountability Office (GAO) to audit the
Fed, removing statutory obstacles that currently exist to understanding the
extent of taxpayer's liability created by the Federal Reserve.

I am a strong supporter of the independence of the Federal Reserve.
However, I believe that Chairman Bernanke's testimony that a GAO audit
would result in members of Congress initiating reports in an attempt to
influence monetary policy is exaggerated, and that concern could be solved
by requiring the audits to occur regularly every two years.

Assuring proper and appropriate oversight of the Federal Reserve and its
treatment of taxpayer dollars will continue to be a priority for me as
legislation to reform the regulatory structure of the financial industry is
considered by the Senate.

Sincerely,
David Vitter
U.S. Senator