[StBernard] Redfish Cup led by locals Charlie Thomason and Shane Pescay

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Aug 1 10:10:21 EDT 2009

Redfish Cup led by locals Charlie Thomason and Shane Pescay
Posted by The Times-Picayune July 31, 2009 10:35PM
Categories: Fishing
With southwest winds and overcast, rainy skies dominating Day 1 of the
Academy Sports & Outdoors Big Easy Redfish Cup, weights were lighter than
average on the reknowned Louisiana Delta fishery. Emerging as the team to
beat Friday were local favorites Charlie Thomason of Covington and Shane
Pescay of Mandeville, who brought in 15.95 pounds of redfish.

"The fishing was phenomenal today," Thomason said. "Leading and being in
Chalmette is really special to me. There are people that I knew who left
after Hurricane Katrina that have come back to see me. This tournament is a
good boost to this town; it needs everything it can get."

Ron and Chris Hueston are in second with 15.84 pounds, and Ken Chambers and
John Merriwether are third with 15.20 pounds.

Scott Hughes and Matt Haag (15.05) and Heath Seckel and Brian Ulch (14.99)
round out the top five.

"The fishing was so good today, we had double hook-ups at times," Thomason
said.

Chambers, like Thomason and many of the other teams this week, found
oversize fish in abundance, but cited the winds as part of the contributing
factors to lower weights, because sight-fishing for the right size fish was
so much more difficult.

"When you are just blind casting, it makes everything harder," Chambers
said. "The wind blows a big loop in your line, you can't see the fish as
well, and that's a whole lot tougher. I'm from Florida, so I'm used to
working hard for my fish, but I just didn't expect it coming here."

Blaine Friermood and Robert Scherer ended the day in 14th place with 14.38
pounds, but were disappointed after a great practice period.

"We had such high expectations coming here, people that come to our ranch in
Texas are fed redfish on a half shell from right here in Chalmette,"
Friermood said. "We got here last Thursday and it was the best fishing we
have seen in our lifetime. Since then, it has gotten progressively worse,
and we almost feel let down."

All 56 teams fish for the first two days of competition, and the top five
based on combined weight will move on to Sunday's final round, where weights
are zeroes. The team with the best single-day performance Sunday will be
crowned champions.

Day One Top 25 Results:

For complete results see redfishcup.com.

Place///Team///Weights
1///Charlie Thomason/Shane Pescay///15.95
2///Ron Hueston/Chris Hueston///15.84
3///Ken Chambers/John Merriwether///15.20
4///Scott Hughes/Mat Haag///15.05
5///Heath Seckel/Brian Ulch///14.99
6///John Henninger/Warren Girle///14.84
7///Scott Ritter/Robert 'Bobby' Abruscato///14.79
8///Jarrett Lombard/Leland Symonds///14.73
9///Greg DeVault/Bill DeVault///14.69
10///Trey Newton/Al Keller///14.63
11///Jason Hughey/Matt Ingram///14.48
12///Mike Friday/Danny Latham///14.42
13///Terry Seagraves/Sam Swett///14.41
14///Robert Scherer/Blaine Friermood///14.38
15///Bo Johnson/Mike Del Duca///14.26
16///Tim Young/Jason Catchings///14.22
17///Andrew Bostick/John Landry///14.17
18///Bryan Watts/Greg Watts///14.12
19///Kevin Broussard/Cajun Phil Broussard///14.11
20///Ray Van Horn/C.A. Richardson///14.08
21///Bill Faulkner/Kevin Mihailoff///14.07
22///Chuck Howard/CJ Howard///13.99
23///Erik Rue/Larry Puckett///13.85
24///David Christian/Charlie Paradoski///13.80
25///Travis Holeman/Bryan Holeman///13.64