[StBernard] Being grateful for those in our lives

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Aug 4 02:20:11 EDT 2009

It was just in the past month my wife and I were out with a group of friends
and the conversation turned to which friends used to be "part of the gang"
but hadn't been seen or spoken with in some time. We discussed how is it we
lose touch with people who used to frequently be in our lives and played a
major part in it, then over time seem to gradually slip away. Oh sure, we
thought of the obvious reasons such as job relocation or major life events
such as someone getting married, a new baby, divorce, a new job or the death
of a spouse. We even threw in Hurricane Katrina as a major disruption in
many lives.

Still, after thinking about it further we realized those among us
experienced such events and that never interfered with our still seeing each
other or keeping in touch on a regular basis. We talked about how many of
us have such "friends" who you never see or hear from unless you are the one
picking up the phone to invite them, which they rarely accept - making some
time consuming excuse why they can't make it. What really erks me is when
they say "we'll have to call you soon so we can get together" and you know
you won't hear back from them. Naturally, you can't help but feel a little
hurt because you cared about these people and acknowledge what an important
part of your life they once played. Spending time with them reminds you of
younger days and all fun you had...but they drift away on their own accord.

Then, just the other day I'm reading various articles and comments on the
net as I always do, and came across the below statement. I showed it to my
wife and she agreed it answered the general question of our discussion about
our friends and associates - or at least it helped us realize the proper
perspective on the subject. I pass it along in hopes it will also help you
if you've ever wondered about the same thing. The article where I found
this did not have any person attributed to the quote. If anyone knows who
said this I'd appreciate your letting me know.

- John Scurich

"There comes a point in your life when you realize...

who matters,
who never did,
who won't anymore,
and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past,
there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future."

Just be glad for those who are in your life right now and never take them
for granted.