[StBernard] Doing a "Vitter"

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Aug 4 08:41:39 EDT 2009

Quote:

Melancon's motive to run would be simple: Fear that his seat may evaporate
underneath him.

Louisiana insiders are already talking about the 2011 redistricting map, and
what will happen to Melancon's 3rd District. The likelihood is great that,
because Louisiana will most likely lose a seat (due to the post-Katrina
population loss discussed above), GOP map-drawers in Baton Rouge will push
hard to slice and dice Melancon's district, and leave whomever holds it
after the 2010 election without a chair when the music stops.

My concern is more about what's gonna happen to the 3rd Congr. District and
where will St. Bernard be?

I don't think they will touch the 2nd district since that is the
"minority-majority" district and the election of
Cao was a fluke from the Wm. Jefferson mess. Since it encompasses all of
Orleans and parts of other
parishes, I think the 2nd will go back to an A.A. candidate in the next
election.

When they do the reapportionment, looking at a district map I don't see
where else SBP can be placed unless
they **really** do a gerrymander and put part of the 3rd into the current
1st district and another part of the 3rd into
the current 7th district.

Congr. Districts: (pdf file)

http://tinyurl.com/nvyaa2

JY