[StBernard] St. Bernard bouncing back 4 years later

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Aug 28 07:38:39 EDT 2009

St. Bernard bouncing back 4 years later

Don Ames Reporting

Four years after Katrina, one of the area's hardest hit parishes is still
facing many challenges, but has also made great strides.

St. Bernard Parish is crediting community partnership for the progress made
since the storm.

The population is growing, and business are returning.

And the parish is in better shape to weather the next storm. "We're moving
in the right direction, in that vein. We're certainly better off then we
were, but not where we need to be just yet," says Parish President Craig
Taffaro. He says the closing of the MRGO was a significant step.

Taffaro says the drainage pump stations are back to capacity, but the levees
still need more improvement.

Listen to Don Ames conversation with Taffaro:
http://www.wwl.com/St--Bernard-bouncing-back-4-years-later/5100610

The parish population is about 40 thousand. "About 65 percent of those
residents are returned residents," says Taffaro. So, there are a number of
faces that are new to St. Bernard...about 14,000 of them. Still, the number
of abandoned lots is a concern.

A number of new businesses are coming to the parish. A new Walmart will open
in the coming months. A new strip mall will be opening with several new
stores, and a new Lowe's is being constructed right next to the Home Depot.
"Our business community has continued to be very supportive and very
aggressive," says Taffaro.

And, in a difficult economy, he says the recovery is providing a bit of a
buffer. "We're pumping out probably 8 to 10 million dollars worth of
recovery work a month for a parish that has a 35 million dollar operating
budget."

"We're trying to keep as many dollars flowing through St. Bernard as
possible for those people who come and visit and work here, as well as those
who live here," Taffaro says.

The parish is hosting 4th Anniversary events tomorrow at the Katrina
Monument on Shell Beach At the MRGO, and at Torres Park in Chalmette.

Taffaro says he's looking forward to the 4th year anniversary being
something that is more celebratory than somber.