[StBernard] Cold Storage To Be Built Uptown, Not In French Quarter

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 9 18:50:27 EDT 2009

Cold Storage To Be Built Uptown, Not In French Quarter
Jindal Touts Cold Storage Compromise As 'Job-Saver'
WDSU.com
updated 5:46 p.m. CT, Wed., Sept . 9, 2009
NEW ORLEANS - WDSU .com

Gov. Bobby Jindal is throwing his enthusiastic support behind a plan to
build a cold storage facility in Uptown New Orleans.

Jindal said Wednesday the 147,000 square foot refrigerated terminal would
keep in the area hundreds of jobs that would otherwise have left.

"New Orleans Cold Storage's commitment to New Orleans solidifies the
company's place in the local business community and represents even more
exciting news of economic development from our existing Louisiana companies
during this national economic downturn," he said. "The new terminal will
enhance the company's competitiveness and productivity, in addition to
increasing port activity and creating more jobs for our people."

New Orleans Cold Storage currently operates a facility on Jourdan Road, at
the Industrial Canal, but has said that site is no longer suitable for its
needs.

The company initially wanted to build a new refrigeration terminal at the
wharf by the French Quarter. That plan sparked an uproar in the
neighborhood.

Some residents rallied against the idea, citing what they believed to be
hazards associated with the plant. They were also concerned about noise and
traffic in the area.

New Orleans Cold Storage will instead build its new terminal at the uptown
riverfront cargo complex. Construction is expected to take about 18 months.

The company's chief executive officer doesn't expect the same push back from
people living uptown.

"I think the issues we talked about were traffic and ammonia. I don't think
traffic will be a problem and as for the ammonia, look at our track record
-- it speaks for itself and we will have a new facility with all the
safeguards in place," Cold Storage CEO Mark Blanchard said.

Richard Yancey runs an uptown real estate company near the Nashville Wharf,
and he said he's OK with the facility's new location.

"Seems like a perfectly legitimate location for it," Yancey said. "We're in
a commercial corridor (here) on the Mississippi River."

Officials said the project also adds to existing plans to rebuild and
revitalize the riverfront, from uptown to the Bywater. City leaders say this
project goes hand in hand with the Reinventing The Crescent project, a
multimillion-dollar plan to turn the riverfront into an area of shops, parks
and businesses.

"You've got an area with the crescent turning the riverfront into a
multipurpose area and giving it back to the people," said Gary LaGrange of
the Port of New Orleans.

State Rep. Juan LaFonta agreed with the importance of riverfront
development.

"We've got to re-invent ourselves so that we can diversify our economy and
bring in more money," LaFonta said. "You've got a global recession and and
we have to show that we are a start port for the rest of the nation."