[StBernard] Last Night's Speech

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Sep 10 22:33:15 EDT 2009

Last night, President Obama reiterated his strong push for the public option – also known as the government run health care program <http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=jmK2JkM0IjJVJoL&s=eiJNI0OIKeJQK5NNItE&m=jhLNKWPGLhIXF> – in the healthcare bill currently under debate in Congress.

Unlike Obama and Congressman Melancon, I strongly oppose the government run health care plan. <http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=cfIOKZNyGcIIL4K&s=eiJNI0OIKeJQK5NNItE&m=jhLNKWPGLhIXF> I also believe that if Congress is going to force a government health care plan on the people of Louisiana, then members of Congress should be legally required to enroll as well.

Just recently, Congressman Melancon had a chance to remove the government option from the bill. He voted no <http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=fsJUK8OKIfLPJeJ&s=eiJNI0OIKeJQK5NNItE&m=jhLNKWPGLhIXF> and helped Nancy Pelosi defeat the amendment. He even voted against legislation <http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=ilL0LhMWLiKWLoI&s=eiJNI0OIKeJQK5NNItE&m=jhLNKWPGLhIXF> that would have enrolled members of Congress in any public plan they create for Louisianans.

For more on Charlie Melancon’s recent health care activity, follow this link. <http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=gtKWJbPQLpIZLiK&s=eiJNI0OIKeJQK5NNItE&m=jhLNKWPGLhIXF>

Over the past few weeks, I’ve held 21 town hall meetings all across our state to listen, learn and take questions from Louisianans concerned about the implications of this massive health care bill. I heard from thousands of folks all across Louisiana about what they would like to see in a reasonable health care reform proposal.

After all those meetings, one thing is clear: the overwhelming majority of Louisianans strongly oppose President Obama and Congressman Melancon's plan to include government run health care in this legislation.

With your help, I will continue to ensure that a government run health care program will not be forced on Louisiana without a fight.

Will you sign my petition today? <http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=ehKSI5OGLeIQKeJ&s=eiJNI0OIKeJQK5NNItE&m=jhLNKWPGLhIXF> Please also make sure to forward my petition to your friends, neighbors and family members - with your help, we'll stop government run health care <http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=huIYJePSKhLXIoI&s=eiJNI0OIKeJQK5NNItE&m=jhLNKWPGLhIXF> dead in its tracks.

Thank you,

David