[StBernard] Thousands pack D.C. to protest spending

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Sep 12 17:53:40 EDT 2009

Thousands pack D.C. to protest spending
Fiscal conservatives converge for 'March on Washington'
The Associated Press
updated 11:37 a.m. CT, Sat., Sept . 12, 2009
WASHINGTON - Thousands of people marched to the U.S. Capitol on Saturday,
carrying signs with slogans such as "Obamacare makes me sick" as they
protested the president's health care plan and what they say is
out-of-control spending.

The line of protesters completely filled Pennsylvania Avenue for blocks, all
the way to the capitol, according to the D.C. Homeland Security and
Emergency Management Agency. People were chanting "enough, enough" and "We
the People." Others yelled "You lie, you lie!" and "Pelosi has to go,"
referring to California congresswoman Nancy Pelosi.

Others are waving U.S. flags and holding signs reading "Go Green Recycle
Congress" and "I'm Not Your ATM." Some men are dressed in colonial costumes.
Police on motorcycles and horses watched as the marchers passed.

Richard Brigle, 57, a Vietnam War veteran and former Teamster, came from Paw
Paw, Mich. He said health care needs to be reformed - but not according to
President Barack Obama's plan.

"My grandkids are going to be paying for this. It's going to cost too much
money that we don't have," he said while marching, bracing himself with a
wooden cane as he walked.

FreedomWorks Foundation, a conservative organization led by former House
Majority Leader Dick Armey, organized several groups from across the country
for what they billed as a "March on Washington."

Organizers say they built on momentum from the April "tea party"
demonstrations held nationwide to protest tax policies, along with growing
resentment over the economic stimulus packages and bank bailouts.

'Our government has lost sight'

Many protesters said they paid their own way to the event - an ethic they
believe should be applied to the government. They say unchecked spending on
things like a government-run health insurance option could increase
inflation and lead to economic ruin.

Terri Hall, 45, of Starke, Fla., said she felt compelled to become political
for the first time this year because she was upset by government spending.

"Our government has lost sight of the powers they were granted," she said.
She added that the deficit spending was out of control, and said she thought
it was putting the country at risk.

Other sponsors of the rally include the Heartland Institute, Americans for
Tax Reform and the Ayn Rand Center for Individuals Rights.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may
not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.