[StBernard] St. Bernard plans to continue fight against mixed-income complex

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Sep 15 07:25:55 EDT 2009

We've always believed that OB1k-NO-B(AMA) wants to "Spread the Wealth".

It's it ironic that the Feds now want St. Bernard Parish to "Spread the
Multiplexed Apartments" around the parish??

It's almost like a new horror flick: "Coming to a neighborhood near YOU!!!!"

(..let us pray..... and let our prayers be answered against this nonsense).
We don't want communes in America.

--jer--

St. Bernard plans to continue fight against mixed-income complex

05:41 PM CDT on Monday, September 14, 2009

Paul Murphy / Eyewitness News

pmuprhy at wwltv.com

Four controversial mixed-income developments in St. Bernard Parish could
break ground as early as next month despite efforts by parish officials to
appeal a recent judge's ruling.

The Dallas-based developer says now that a federal judge has cleared the way
for the projects, the company is ready to go.

"We're moving forward and we hope to be starting construction soon," said
Matt Harris of Provident Realty Advisors. "We need to get the building
permit issued which looks like we're very close. We're going to continue
moving ahead."

Two complexes would be located on land across from the Chalmette
Battlefield.

The others would be built on Virtue Street near Nunez Community College and
on Patricia Street behind Wal-Mart.

Friday, a federal judge threatened the parish with sanctions if it continued
to "thwart, delay and derail the proposed developments.

Judge Ginger Berrigan found that parish leaders had a racially
discriminatory intent in blocking the developments.

St. Bernard council members say they will comply with the order, but plan to
appeal it.

"It seems to me that we should have the right to protect our property
values, which is what this is about. It has nothing to do with race," said
Councilman At-Large Wayne Landry.

Some property owners say 288 new apartments in the parish would flood the
market and make it difficult for them to find tenants.

"We have a problem getting tenants now," said John McElroy who owns rental
units on W. Urquhart Street in Chalmette. "You can't find anybody that can
come up with the money for the rent as it is."

"It would probably make my property values go down and I would probably have
to rent for less," said Joe Spino who owns property near the proposed
development on Virtue Street.

Provident Realty says there are a lot of misconceptions in the community and
that the new complexes will "Class A" apatrments.

"You're going to have fully equipped business centers and fitness centers,
resort style swimming pools, playgrounds, very high quality end, very high
quality finishes," said Harris.

While council members aren't ready to give up just yet, they admit given the
judge's ruling there is a strong likelihood the mixed income developments
will eventually get built in St. Bernard over their strong objections.

"I hope sound wisdom would prevail at the appellate level because what we're
facing now is simply activism in its purest form," said Councilman George
Cavignac.

The judge's order says St. Bernard Parish had until close of business on
Monday to address some remaining questions about the developments dealing
with such issues as parking, landscaping and access.

Councilman Cavignac says the parish complied with the order. But, he admits
the parish still needs to work out some drainage issues with the developer.