[StBernard] St. Bernard Parish may vote on apartment ban

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 16 17:49:02 EDT 2009

Parish Councilman Mike Ginart questioned the need to rush the fee, assessed
on all homes and businesses that have a water account, onto a November
ballot, instead of getting more information about the exact budget
shortfalls.

Parish President Craig Taffaro also suggested further review, arguing, "If
we're going to ask, let's ask for what we really need to get us through the
next six years, instead of piecemealing."

I do have a couple of questions about this. If a large apartment bldg. has
only one water account for say, a 10 unit apartment where the owner pays the
water bill ( you know "water included"), does that mean a single water bill
account that uses that much water is billed the same as an individual? I
know this is not a water usage fee, but doesn't seem quite fair does it?

JY