[StBernard] St. Bernard council to let voters decide on fee for fire department

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Sep 18 08:53:48 EDT 2009

ummmm.........
ok, let's support our firefighters in this discussion, but's lets also have
access to more information.

perhaps a council member or someone else could clarify?

1) if council calls an emergency meeting Friday, it could possibly introduce
an ordinance, but according to Home Rule Charter, passage of ordinances
takes a certain amount of time due to advertising and public hearing
requirements. so, there maynot be enough time to pass another ordinance and
properly advertise for public hearing and than advertise for a Nov 14th
election.

2)homeowner's insurance is effected when fire ratings change and the parish
fire rating was recently conducted. what are the results? this fee increase
doesnot guarantee homeowner's insurance will stay the same. although, if we
dont fund the Fire Dept we'll have more than higher premiums to be concerned
with.

3) what funds are currently dedicated to fund the Fire Dept?what is that
anticipated amount for next year? why is 6 years enough time to carry us
through this "shortfall"?

4) when can we revisit the SDT contract? if we are paying $20 per household,
could we negotiate to get the lower monthly rates that SDT charges in
Tangipahoa and other parishes? even if it means each household makes its own
contract with SDT, or if it means once weekly pickup. also, for commercial
businesses and multi-unit buildings --- are they required to have their own
contract with SDT or other waste pickup? if so, would they be required to
pay for sanitation on their water bill?

SJK