[StBernard] St. Bernard residents to vote for fire protection fee

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Sep 20 10:14:38 EDT 2009

St. Bernard residents to vote for fire protection fee
Reported by: Allison Braxton, Reporter
Email: abraxton at fox8tv.net
Last Update: 9/19 11:51 pm

St. Bernard - The Saint Bernard Parish council is racing to get a motion
placed on the November special election ballot that could impact a vital
service for residents.

Members of the Saint Bernard parish council called for an emergency Saturday
meeting to weigh in on fire protection for its residents.

With a slower than expected recovery the parish is facing a nearly $7
million budget shortfall for fire protection and sanitation services. And
the sluggish economy hasn't helped St. Bernard's sales tax revenue for 2009.

Saturday, council members voted unanimously to add a referendum to the
November ballot for a $10 per month fire protection fee and $10 a month
sanitation fee. Parish President Craig Taffaro worries if the item doesn't
pass, it could impact the fire department's response time.

Craig Taffaro says, "Potentially what that means is is not being able to
adequately man our fire stations, the millions of dollars that are being
poured into rebuilding all of our fire stations when we are unable to man
those stations your fire insurance rating will go significantly against us."

If the item does pass on the November ballot residents will have to pay that
additional $20 per month for fire protection and sanitation for six years.
The fees will end December 31, 2015.