[StBernard] Why the Homestead Exemption Must Go

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sun Sep 20 23:00:48 EDT 2009

John,

You're right, you cannot trust most of these politicians, which means you
need to have a road map and go from there.

In the article that was on BayouBuzz.com that I reference, they mentioned
that Rep. Jeff Arnold (D-Algiers) and Rep. Julie Quinn (R-Metairie) have
made attempts to pass a bill that require a vote of the people before any
millage could be rolled forward once it had been rolled back.

Unfortunately, Sen. Willie Mount of Lake Charles (former mayor of Lake
Charles) blocked it every time.

As I said in the reply to Jer, we would need a road map on what needs to
happen before the Homestead Exemption is removed. Blocking the roll
forwards would be a first step in that direction.

Local governments will always find a way around the homestead exemption, so
we need to examine ways to move towards eliminating it.

Westley