[StBernard] Creating Economic Opportunity

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 23 21:30:38 EDT 2009

Dear Friends,

This past week we welcomed two great announcements that could possibly bring
more than 1,700 new jobs to our state. I joined Pratt Industries officials
at the Port of Shreveport-Bossier to announce the company's new waste paper
recycling mill. As the Shreveport Times
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=mHFgbgs78jufspUKCSUY2Xb
A6H2ojOoW491PyVUpeM4%3d&digest=FaWwFDwSUgsEoSq0JbTlgQ> reported, "the
recycling mill represents a $160 million investment," and will create 120
new permanent positions. An independent economic analysis of the project
also concluded that more than 1,695 new direct and indirect jobs could be
created during the mill's construction. We announced that $7.8 million has
been directed towards I-49 North as well, which, as I said in the Shreveport
Times
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=v%2bucXnFfPPLJGkpcBSfsO
6gsWuKvFQ0D1UpzRkB64SE%3d&digest=H1QCnbTcEVpN8CfFRo2PKA> , "is an absolute
priority of our administration."

I also joined local officials and executives of Affirmative Insurance in
Baton Rouge to announce that the company will consolidate their corporate
operations support center from Chicago to Baton Rouge. The project will
create 56 new jobs and maintain 200 current jobs. As the Baton Rouge
Advocate
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=gVKQFLLmGBXZDiJAUVgbMua
R%2fRefHxJvALZoaz8eKuY%3d&digest=4Ja1wnXNC8m6TO%2bQClGygA> wrote,
"Affirmative could have chosen to retain the Chicago center or move to
Dallas," but they chose Louisiana instead. This continues to show that the
country and the world are taking notice of what we are doing here in
Louisiana, and that we are building a strong, diversified economy that is
built to last. As the New Orleans Times-Picayune
<http://www.nola.com/business/t-p/index.ssf?/base/money-2/1252819947196910.x
ml&coll=1%20> recently wrote, "just as significant [as the new jobs] will
be the resulting impact on Louisiana's economic development reputation."

We brought the Louisiana Working Tour to Ruston, Fenton, St. Martinville,
and Montpelier last week. As the Daily Iberian
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=ti0itKjCm24dCdm9%2bpo8J
WK61NOyJQ8224L4pEOPpqk%3d&digest=HR%2foxbVnPAuBP6ac%2bQunVg> reported, I
told my fellow Louisianians the great news that "since January 2008 that
$4.3 billion of private investment in the state" will lead "to the creation
of 33,000 new jobs." We will continue working hard to bring even more
economic opportunities to our state, which will help ensure that our best
and brightest stay right here in Louisiana to pursue their dreams.

We are also continuing our efforts to ensure that state government is living
within its means, just like any family across our state. As written by the
Alexandria Town Talk
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=1z%2fV2Yp9vD1D%2bJ22iWh
t7DHMx4pWIP%2b6G9OVaxjNfwg%3d&digest=wjPE0QjqSXwhaSQRxq%2fpNQ> , "The
Commission on Streamlining Government and the Postsecondary Education Review
Commission face December deadlines to submit recommendations to be acted on
in the next legislative session." By taking these important steps now, we
can ensure a learner, more efficient state government in the future.

I visited Winnsboro, Gonzales, and Pierre Part to award 506 of our state's
military veterans and heroes with the Louisiana Veterans Honor Medal. As the
Lafayette Daily Advertiser
<http://click.bsftransmit1.com/ClickThru.aspx?pubids=tV8DwKytemxMZHEoihkt9C4
yawv3PjdgeG6aVONb75k%3d&digest=6IA%2b32uEPwHq4%2fnC6NXweA> wrote, we are
awarding these medals to our state's veterans as a "statewide campaign of
appreciation," for their honor, bravery, and sacrifice. It is truly a
humbling experience to meet so many of our state's veterans, and it is an
honor to thank them for their service.

Sincerely,

Governor Bobby Jindal