[StBernard] Health Care Update from Washington, D.C.

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Sep 23 21:43:31 EDT 2009

Dear Friends,

During the last few weeks I have been working with my colleagues to find a
compromise to improve health care for all Louisianians. In August, I
returned to Louisiana, where I spent the month listening to your ideas and
suggestions for health care reform in our state and the nation. Today, I
want to take the opportunity to update you on what I have been working on
and what my priorities are as health care legislation moves through
Congress.

The Business of Health Care, an op-ed by Sen. Mary Landrieu

Charlie Kurzweg owns a paper supply business, Diamond Paper Company, in East
Destrehan. He generally covers 80 percent of his employees' health care
costs, but for Charlie and his 33 employees, premiums have gone up 9 to 15
percent a year for the last several years. Insurance premiums are so
expensive that some of his employees -- even when paying only 20 percent --
have dropped their coverage.

Unfortunately, this story is not unique. In 1993, 61 percent of small
companies offered health coverage. Today, that number is less than 38
percent nationwide, and in Louisiana it is less than a third. This hurts
small businesses' ability to compete for top talent and, in my view, hampers
opportunities for job creation at a time when our state and nation need it
the most.

Click here to continue reading Senator Landrieu's op-ed
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00045890.5318.162&gen=1&mailing_linkid=2106>

Senator Landrieu's Weekly Internet Address: Health Care Reform

<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00045890.5318.162&gen=1&mailing_linkid=2107>

Senator Landrieu Hosts Town Hall in Reserve, La. on Health Care

On Thursday, August 27, Senator Landrieu hosted a town hall in Reserve, La.
on health care reform. In July, Sen. Landrieu joined Health and Human
Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, Labor Secretary Hilda Solis,
Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack and Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric
Shinseki in St. John the Baptist Parish for a public discussion on rural
health care. During this town hall Sen. Landrieu committed to holding a
follow up town hall in the river parishes later in the year.

To learn more about Senator Landrieu's town hall please click here
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00045890.5318.162&gen=1&mailing_linkid=2108> .

Recent Interviews

ABC- This Week
On Sunday, September 13, Senator Landrieu joined Secretary Sebelius,
Governor Pawlenty and Senator Rockefeller to discuss health care reform.

<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00045890.5318.162&gen=1&mailing_linkid=2109>

Click on the above picture to watch Senator Landrieu on This Week

CNN
On Sunday, August 30, Senator Landrieu joined John King on CNN's State of
the Union to disucss health care and the fourth anniversary of Hurricane
Katrina.

<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00045890.5318.162&gen=1&mailing_linkid=2110>

Click on the image to watch the interview and read the CNN report.

WRKF- NPR news source in Baton Rouge, La.

<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00045890.5318.162&gen=1&mailing_linkid=2111>
To listen to Sen. Landrieu's interview, please click on the image above.

Senator Landrieu in the News

The Times-Picayune: Sen. Mary Landrieu holds key role in health care
overhaul
September 13, 2009, By Stephanie Stokes
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00045890.5318.162&gen=1&mailing_linkid=2112>

The Advocate: Landrieu: Health-care debate 'about people'
August 28, 2009, By Sarah Chacko
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00045890.5318.162&gen=1&mailing_linkid=2113>

To read more about Senator Landrieu, please click here.
<http://landrieu.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&gpiv=21
00045890.5318.162&gen=1&mailing_linkid=2114>