[StBernard] eupdate 9 29 09

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Sep 29 21:39:38 EDT 2009

e-update
09.29.09

This month, we recognized the fourth anniversary of Hurricane Rita's impact
on Louisiana. I also made a move to reduce the power of the president's
"czars" and to increase our gas and energy exploration to help reduce costs
and create new jobs.

Below you can read about these and other issues that I'm working on, such
as ensuring that your tax dollars don't go to ACORN.

David Vitter

P.S. - Please feel free to forward the newsletter to your friends, neighbors
and business associates, and encourage them to sign up for their own copy by
visiting my Web site at http://vitter.senate.gov/.

REMEMBERING HURRICANE RITA
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=a9aeaded-b5f7-8c3f-0327-de8ee0e2879b&Region_id=&Issue_id=

This past week, we paused to remember the impact of Hurricane Rita on
southwest Louisiana. Rita's significant impact on our state is often
overlooked by the devastation of Hurricane Katrina but this event affected
the lives of hundreds of thousands of our friends and neighbors. On the
fourth anniversary of Rita's impact, I wanted to remember this event and
recognize the spirit and determination of southwest Louisianians as they
continue the recovery process even today. Read the text of my full
statement here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=ec606e41-fd44-faff-c8b1-d7d0e9cf09b1> .

REINING IN THE PRESIDENT'S "CZARS"
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Multimedia.Video&Video
_id=a480f4f5-ff80-9c29-a66f-f03579833652&PageNum=1>

This month, I filed an amendment that would limit the power of the
president's "czars" to make and implement policy. These advisors now
number somewhere in the 20s, and they wield significant power over domestic
programs and government agencies despite their not being approved by the
Senate like members of the president's cabinet. You can read more about
this amendment here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=c99a7b6b-e394-c745-a608-d7f0f7985ee1&Region_id=&Issue_id=

> .

PROMOTING OIL AND GAS DEVELOPMENT IN THE OCS
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=a5c7bfc8-911e-9383-e487-9677914c8615&Region_id=&Issue_id=

Last year, the prohibitions on OCS drilling expired, allowing us to move
ahead with a more sensible approach to gas and energy exploration that
would allow us to greatly reduce costs on American families. But now we
are seeing delays from the Obama Administration that would stall that
progress we made. That's why I filed an amendment to the
Interior-Environment appropriations bill that would prevent funds from
being used to delay the implementation of an expanding drilling program
that would boost our economy and increase our gas and energy supplies. You
can learn more about the amendment here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=de6652cd-fe0c-6e3b-3765-9a2d7965e749&Region_id=&Issue_id=

> at my website.

ENSURING THAT YOUR TAX DOLLARS DON'T GO TO ACORN
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.Articles&Con
tentRecord_id=aa3358f4-bc07-2119-528a-603e6f8b4470&Region_id=&Issue_id=>

Over the past year, we've all seen stories about the voter fraud and other
allegations against the activist group ACORN. Last week the U.S. Senate
voted to block future taxpayer dollars from being awarded to ACORN. But
this month, it came to my attention that ACORN had been awarded a $1
million grant from a program that was designed to assist firefighters and
fire departments. This is simply unacceptable, and I wrote a letter to
Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano asking her to rescind this
grant and see that this money goes to those fire departments in the need of
most assistance. To learn more about this situation, click here
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=e307d5e4-9743-9700-2e21-d3592343849b&Region_id=&Issue_id=