[StBernard] Columbus Day

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Oct 12 21:00:30 EDT 2009

Since 1970 Columbus Day has been recognized as a United States federal
holiday. Columbus Day is a time when we pay tribute to Christopher Columbus,
the Italian explorer who is credited for his groundbreaking journey to the
New World that we now call the United States of America. In 1892, the U.S.
celebrated the 400th anniversary of Columbus Day with then Republican
President Benjamin Harrison calling on all Americans to celebrate this
momentous occasion in American history.

Columbus Day is a time to teach our children the importance of patriotism
and the history of our great nation that has been impacted by those, like
Christopher Columbus, who emigrated here from all regions of the world. The
Republican Party Platform states that "Today's immigrants are walking in the
steps of most other Americans' ancestors, seeking the American dream and
contributing culturally and economically to our nation. We celebrate the
industry and love of liberty of these fellow Americans."

I hope you will join me today in celebrating Columbus Day and all that the
voyage of Christopher Columbus has meant to this country.

Best,

Angela Sailor
RNC Coalitions Director