[StBernard] Obama in New Orleans / Media Schedule / AAA Health Care Fair

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Oct 14 22:45:49 EDT 2009

Tomorrow, I will join President Obama and key members of his administration for various events during their visit to New Orleans including the President’s town hall at the University of New Orleans.

Tune in to your local and national stations tomorrow as I speak about the President’s historical visit.

Media Schedule for Thursday, October 15th

WWL TV (CBS Affiliate) – 7:05 AM CST
WVUE TV – (FOX Affiliate) – 7:45 AM CST
MSNBC TV – (NATIONAL) - 11:15 AM CST
WDSU TV – (NBC Affiliate) – 4:30 PM CST
ABC 26 TV – (ABC Affiliate) – 6:30 PM CST

AAA HEALTH CARE FAIR -“Because health care should be Affordable, Accessible, and Accountable.”

You’re invited to join me for my 2nd AAA Health Fair of the year THIS SATURDAY, October 17th from 9AM – 1PM CST.

Regular check-ups and screenings are excellent methods for avoiding, detecting, and/or treating serious health problems.

We have partnered with the LSU Health Science Center, LSU Dental School, FBI, Department of Health and Human Services, New Orleans Police Department, and certified health officials to provide screenings, education, and/or referrals for the following:

AIDS, Prescription Medicine, Blood Pressure, Diabetes, SILLY Study (Study of Insulin Sensitivity in Low-birth weight Louisiana Youth), Cholesterol, LA CHIP sign-up, Oral Cancer, Breast Cancer, and Cervical Cancer.

I am also pleased to announce that free immunizations will be provided for children and adults for protection during flu season.

Join me THIS SATURDAY to take this step toward good health.

Who: Congressman Anh “Joseph” Cao; Representatives from the LSU Health Science Center, LSU Dental School, FBI, Department of Health and Human Services, New Orleans Police Department, and certified health officials

What: AAA Health Fair (Affordable. Accessible. Accountable.)

Where: New Hope Baptist Church, 1807 LaSalle Street New Orleans, LA 70118

When: Saturday, October 17, 2009

Time: 9AM – 1PM CST

ON CAPITOL HILL

Appointment to Oversight Committee

Last week, the U.S. House of Representatives appointed me to the Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

This assignment gives me another platform to fight for New Orleans and Jefferson Parish, and it is an honor to have been selected for this position.

The Oversight and Government Reform Committee has been the driving force behind Congress’ investigation into what went wrong at all levels of government during Hurricane Katrina. The Committee has sustained their oversight of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Medicare and Medicaid, and the Small Business Association (SBA).

In the coming days, I will be sitting down with Committee leadership to discuss my priorities which include: (1) rooting out waste, fraud, and abuse in government operations; (2) ensuring that the interests of our region are adequately represented in the 2010 census; (3) exploring relations with our neighbors to the South, especially Cuba given the potential benefits to New Orleans of increased trade; and (4) continuing my fight for democracy, human rights, and religious freedom worldwide.

FIGHTING CRIME

Operation Big Easy

Recently, I met with members of the U.S. Marshals Service (USMS) to discuss “Operation Big Easy” in New Orleans.

The program is an important piece of fighting violent crime in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Already the operation has facilitated the arrest of 432 fugitives, most of whom were wanted for violent offenses.

Geoff Shank, Deputy Assistant Director for the Investigative Operations Division, said: “USMS was excited to meet with Congressman Cao. It is always encouraging to know that we have the support of someone like him.”

I have been extremely pleased that federal and local law enforcement are working collaboratively on this effort. The contribution of the USMS has been extremely valuable, and I expect continued progress.

Federal Funding for HIDTA Drug Control Effort

I was pleased to announce this week that the 2nd Congressional District received $476,195 in federal funding as part of our Gulf Coast High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas Program.

Drug-related crimes are a danger to our homes, schools, and communities. The people of Orleans and Jefferson Parishes appreciate the work of the HIDTA Program to aid our law enforcement officials in protecting our streets and stemming the epidemic of illegal drug use which has unfortunately claimed far too many victims.

Gil Kerlikowske, Director of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) and President Obama’s “drug Czar”, agrees. “In today’s difficult economic environment, close collaboration among federal, state, and local law enforcement is more important than ever,” he said. “By working together to leverage resources, share information, and collaborate on enforcement operations, we make our communities safer and our families stronger. Programs like the Gulf Coast High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas Program are important in reducing drug production, trafficking, and use across the Nation.”

The HIDTA program supports a variety of initiatives in our community and across the nation, including highway enforcement programs along drug trafficking transportation corridors, prescription drug diversion and abuse reduction projects, and prevention initiatives.

HOUSING FOR NEW ORLEANS

Changes in the HANO Office

This week, U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary, Shaun Donovan, took bold steps to reform the Housing Authority of New Orleans (HANO).

HANO has had serious problems surrounding finances, development, property management, procurement, audit & compliance, and other related concerns.

Instituting a structural change for the agency, Donovan appointed a new Administrative Receiver, a General Manager, two Deputy General Managers, a Chief Financial Officer, and seven senior administrators.

I am optimistic that these changes will transform HANO into a much more effective and efficient institution for New Orleans, and I look forward to working with them in the future.

HEALTHCARE: THE FIGHT AGAINST CANCER

Funding for Phytoestrogen Research at Tulane University and Xavier University

I am pleased to announce that I secured $1,750,000 in funding for phytoestrogen research through the conference report for House Resolution 2997, the Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act for Fiscal Year 2010.

The funding will allow the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Agricultural Research Service to partner with the Tulane / Xavier Center for Bioenvironmental Research (CBR) and the University of Toledo to manipulate phytoestrogen and phyto-antiestrogen levels in soy-based products—both of which have been linked to a decrease in the incidences of breast and prostate cancer.

One of the trademarks of American medicine is our innovation. Diseases that once killed us are now either confined to the history books or treatable. Tulane and Xavier Universities are doing great work in the search for cures to breast cancer and prostate cancer, and I trust that these funds will help them to continue their important work.

SEE MY SPEECH TO HONOR BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTH HERE. <http://josephcao.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=30050-3468870>

SPECIAL EVENTS

Meeting with Dalai Lama

On last Tuesday, I met with His Holiness the Dalai Lama to discuss those countries that have been oppressed by totalitarian governments.

Tibet has suffered greatly from their totalitarian government, but the Dalai Lama remains optimistic. The U.S. has been a source of inspiration for the Dali Lama who stated to me directly: “in spite of present difficulties, eventually freedom will come.”

As a refugee from Vietnam, I truly understand the sufferings and concerns expressed by the Dalai Lama. Some of my top priorities since joining Congress in January include: battling religious persecution around the world, ending human rights violations, and ending oppression of refugees throughout the world.

High Speed Rail Press Conference

Recently, I held a press conference to publicly request that Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal file an application under the Federal Rail Administration’s High-Speed Intercity Passenger Rail Program to establish a passenger rail service between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

Unfortunately, Governor Jindal declined to file the application. I was disappointed with his decision, but I remain committed to this project.

SEE THE FULL TRANSCRIPT FROM THAT PRESS CONFERENCE HERE. <http://josephcao.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=30051-3468870>

It is a pleasure to serve you in Congress. Feel free to contact my office at any time, and stay tuned to www.josephcao.house.gov <http://josephcao.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=30052-3468870> for more updates.

Anh "Joseph" Cao
Member of Congress

CONNECT WITH ME

<http://josephcao.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=30053-3468870> <http://josephcao.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=30054-3468870> <http://josephcao.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=30055-3468870>

TELL A FRIEND
Please feel free to share this email newsletter with your friends by visiting my web site. <http://josephcao.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=30056-3468870>

<http://josephcao.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=30057-3468870>

Home <http://josephcao.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=30058-3468870> | About Joseph <http://josephcao.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=30059-3468870> | Constituent Services <http://josephcao.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=30060-3468870> | 2nd District <http://josephcao.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=30061-3468870> | News <http://josephcao.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=30062-3468870> | Issues <http://josephcao.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=30063-3468870> | Contact Me <http://josephcao.house.gov/Components/Redirect/r.aspx?ID=30064-3468870>
<http://josephcao.house.gov/images/spacerx21742-3468870.open>
Click Here <http://josephcao.house.gov/news/email/show.aspx?ID=7VXBNFHCXUV2HUKRLK65PCJC2Y> to view this email in your browser
Click Here <http://josephcao.house.gov/Forms/EmailSignup/?Delete=true&MessageID=21742&Email=westley@da-parish.com> to be removed from this list