[StBernard] e update 10 24 09

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sun Oct 25 10:57:35 EDT 2009

e-update
10.24.09

This month in Congress I worked to bring about a change in the law that
will ensure affordable and safe generic medications are made available
sooner, closing a loophole that allows big-name drug companies to keep
prices high on the medicine that you need. I also met with the U.S. Trade
Representative to discuss the ongoing controversy over Chinese drywall in
our hurricane recovery and called attention to a recent attempt to weaken
our laws on illegal immigration.

Below you can read about these and other issues that I'm working on, such
as ensuring transparency in the drafting of government-run health care
legislation.

David Vitter

P.S. - Please feel free to forward the newsletter to your friends, neighbors
and business associates, and encourage them to sign up for their own copy by
visiting my Web site at http://vitter.senate.gov/.

GETTING AFFORDABLE MEDICINE TO MARKET SOONER
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=a9aeaded-b5f7-8c3f-0327-de8ee0e2879b&Region_id=&Issue_id=

This month, I joined U.S. Sen. Jeanne Shaheen to introduce a bill that will
provide patients with faster access to affordable prescription drugs. The
bipartisan Access to Affordable Medicines Act would close a loophole some
brand name drug companies exploit that needlessly and unfairly delays the
entry of safe, lower-cost generic drugs to the consumer market. Read more
about the bill here
<http://www.vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRel
eases&ContentRecord_id=588a5161-f358-c23c-a926-07f361c4a32c&Region_id=&Issue
_id=> .

HOLDING THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION ACCOUNTABLE ON ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Multimedia.Video&Video
_id=a480f4f5-ff80-9c29-a66f-f03579833652&PageNum=1>

Back in July, we scored a major victory in the fight against illegal
immigration with the unanimous approval of my amendment to the Department
of Homeland Security's annual spending bill that would have ensured the
continuance of the "no-match" program, which allows prospective employers
to identify illegal workers. This week, however, that provision was
stripped from the bill during the House-Senate conference process; this is
clearly a step in the wrong direction. You can read more about this
situation here
<http://www.vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRel
eases&ContentRecord_id=739d9825-fa47-46cb-d368-11e7db034ae8&Region_id=&Issue
_id=> .

KEEPING IMPORTED PRODUCTS TO THE SAME STANDARDS AS AMERICAN PRODUCTS
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRelease
s&ContentRecord_id=a5c7bfc8-911e-9383-e487-9677914c8615&Region_id=&Issue_id=

This week, I met with Ambassador Ron Kirk, the United States Trade
Representative, to discuss problems with Chinese drywall, which have been a
serious issue for Louisiana families trying to rebuild their homes after
the devastation of the 2005 hurricanes. You can learn more about our
meeting here
<http://www.vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRel
eases&ContentRecord_id=7d725232-ee93-5d56-10e5-148dffaaec29&Region_id=&Issue
_id=> at my website.

ENSURING TRANSPARENCY IN THE GOVERNMENT-RUN HEALTH CARE LEGISLATIVE PROCESS
<http://vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.Articles&Con
tentRecord_id=aa3358f4-bc07-2119-528a-603e6f8b4470&Region_id=&Issue_id=>

This month, I joined U.S. Sens. Jim Bunning, Jim DeMint, Mike Crapo, Mike
Johanns, John Thune and Jim Risch in introducing a resolution that would
change Senate rules to require all legislative matters, along with a
Congressional Budget Office estimate of their cost, to be made publicly
available for 72 hours before being considered on the Senate floor or in
committee. You can learn more about the resolution here
<http://www.vitter.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressRoom.PressRel
eases&ContentRecord_id=310e290b-a9e2-a8d9-639c-4b3340bc7a63&Region_id=&Issue
_id=> .

For any other questions or concerns visit my Web site at:
www.vitter.senate.gov.